News bulletin...

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Pat
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Pat »

Yeah...... a Roadster you bought used, loaded it up with gadgets that scream conspicuous consumption, and may STILL have few more miles than the day you (likely) trailered it home.

- or not -
Member #31
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Hey everyone. As much as I don’t feel obligated to chime in as this is a private matter between Dallara and me, I will for those of you who are interested in hearing my side of the story.

Mark, thanks for covering some of the nitty-gritty. Folks, the whole thing really is pretty simple. Although Pat and Dallara seem to have butted heads, this is not the reason he has been temporarily banned, and I have warned Pat of his equally inappropriate actions towards Dallara. No one is perfect and I can’t possibly expect that my moderators won’t ever do wrong, but when I catch them doing wrong and contact them about it I do expect that they will realize and take note which Pat has done. Perhaps everyone needs a little nudge once in a while.

I do not expect everyone to get along, but one thing I absolutely do expect is that everyone treats everyone else with respect. This is regardless of whether you agree, disagree, like or dislike. Trust me when I say it IS possible to have a mature conversation with differing opinions without resulting to verbal abuse. It is simply not acceptable to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and speak your mind with a goal to insult. I will do everything in my power to not allow it. Always say to yourself before you hit the post button; "Would I say this if this group was sitting in front of me?" "Will my attempt at humor or sarcasm come across successfully?"

On several occasions, I saw posts from Dallara whose primary intent was to insult and disrupt. As I said, this is not acceptable and I erased the posts that I saw and called him on it via PM. At that time, I suggested he give himself a 3-day timeout and I had warned him of banning at that time. Surprisingly, he did remain quiet and did respect my concerns by taking some time off. Bravo!

But alas a few days later I saw even more obvious attempts to insult, without prompting, and this is what caused me to ban him this week. In my opinion, this was a generous action as in the past this fourth and fifth chance was not given. Remember Lance?

The ball is now in Dallara's court. I have asked that he stay away for a week and consider how poo it would be for him to not be able to post here. For someone who posts as much as Dallara (many separate times per day), it will prove difficult for him to stay away. I know this because I too have been addicted to message board sites and sometimes its hard to imagine how much you can rely on something like that. Additionally, I have asked that he compose a form letter apologizing for his recent actions, and blatant attempts to insult. If he does not want to write this letter, I will fully ban him after a week. Again, I am giving him one last chance to remain a valuable asset to the board because it is clear that many do enjoy his company here, as I have, when he has something interesting to say.

I don’t want to ban him, but I don’t want to deal with him every day either and to be honest, it’s easier for me to just ban him than deal with him. I don’t like managing this board, I like reading it, and when all I am faced with is angry emails from the silent MAJORITY exclaiming their disgust for the board and what it has become, how can I not act? How can I sit back and allow everyone to do what THEY want to when all it does is destroy what we have going here - one of the best and friendliest discussion sites on the net.

I’d like to note that most of the members who are starting to dislike the board do not come forward and announce this publicly. To be honest, I probably wouldn’t either, hoping it would just all go away soon - I am typically a lurker on message boards. Unfortunately, it is the not-so-silent MINORITY that likes to post daily, sometimes visiting the site 4+ times a day posting their opinion about current events.

So isn’t the reality for me is that my "job" as the site moderator is to please the most amount of people the greatest amount of the time. I really want everyone to be happy here. The recent events with postings that had inappropriate material, and content whose goal was to annoy or insult are just unacceptable to me because MANY members and viewers of the site do not come to an r1150r site to see this content. They come here to learn and talk about the r1150r and similar bikes. There are a plethora of other sites on the internet where you can do what you want.

I'd also like to note that after being involved with many online discussion groups, it is my experience that groups that allow people to insult one another or post what they want without restriction end up in chaos and ultimately do not achieve the goal they set out to accomplish (in this case that would be to provide a forum for r1150r owners to learn and share in an enjoyable atmosphere).

It is obvious that Dallara has been singled out here, but this was not without reason. Many others have violated the unwritten (now clearly written in an off-topic sticky) site policy in the past, but this is generally due to ignorance and when privately warned by me or a moderator the problem generally goes away. Dallara is different because even after several repeated warnings over the last several weeks, he still persists.

So now you at least know my side of the story and hopefully my actions make sense to you to.
Member #1
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Post by Shaman »

darthrider wrote:"Why was he given a time out? What is a time out anyway?"

Dear Blank -
Is this that Shaman dude in disguise?
You have that same "HAL" the computer from '2001: A Space Odessy' tone of voice...
Excuse me?
I dont hide in guest mode.
Thank you very much.
Est51
Basic User

Post by Est51 »

Hi Doug.

This is not "a private matter" as, unless we all dredge every single post, we have absolutely no idea what this is all about. All we can see from the outside is that Dallara has been banned for no aparent reason. You say that Pat has been "warned of his equally inappropriate actions towards Dallara" but if these are "equally inappropriate" why hasn't he been given a "time out" too?

This is, without doubt, the best board on the Web but it is degenerating into a farce at the moment, with many of us following the continuing saga of you and Dallara, or seeking out other contentious issues instead of enjoying the [mostly] useful information to be found here.

This is is your board [whatever that means] but that doesn't give you absolute rights. The board is made up of [more or less] like minded people who'd like to express themselves on biking matters and you should allow a great deal of "lattitude". Yes, you should move things about to match thread headings and yes, you should delete posts that are abusive but you shouldn't ban people without the rest of us knowing what transgressions have taken place and you shouldn't delete posts without any explanation [which happens often].

Trouble is, you're inconsistent. Take the "French" thread for instance. Whilst I'm happy to take the p*ss out of anyone, or have it taken out of me [I'm English for Chr*st's sake], that was out of order. So, what did you do? Absolutely nowt! Your own words are - "but one thing I absolutely do expect is that everyone treats everyone else with respect". No you don't. If the predjudices match your own, then they're OK.

Give us an explanation. Why has Dallara been given his "final warning"?

Cheers, Steve
rph802
Lifer

Post by rph802 »

Boy I guess I missed alot of threads here. Certainly there have been many posts full of bluster and steam over recent events but as I recall the original impetus for all this (at least recent) drama has been over the Honda post. Personally I wasnt offended by it. Was it in the wrong place?? I think so at least initially.

With few exceptions I have seen so little personal attacks and slams on this site I would rate it PG, PG13 at worst. Compared to an Xterra site I frequent, it is nothing. Again, I dont read every single thread esp in the Playhouse and members section. Even there, politcal debates have not reached nearly the incindeary (sp??) level Ive read elsewhere. But isnt that where such interpersonal debates are supposed to be?? A restricted private paying members area?? on the Xterra board, its called the Asbestos Room and boy does the title fit. Granted it does leak out in veiled references in other forums. Cannot people of differing views and opinions speak honestly and passionately anymore??

Craig
Life is too short to use cheap toilet paper :D
Member #457
95 R1100R Red
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Est51 wrote:Hi Doug.

This is not "a private matter" as, unless we all dredge every single post, we have absolutely no idea what this is all about. All we can see from the outside is that Dallara has been banned for no apparent reason. You say that Pat has been "warned of his equally inappropriate actions towards Dallara" but if these are "equally inappropriate" why hasn't he been given a "time out" too?
Steve, you clearly do not know all the facts and I do think this is a personal matter because I think its slightly inappropriate to drag Dallara through a public display like this. I decided to post this in response as clearly he doesn’t mind if this is all public by requesting that Darth speak on his behalf.
To answer your question, Dallara is banned for being rude and not heeding repeated warnings. I stated this quite clearly in my explanation, please read it again. Initially this all started with posts containing inappropriate material not being correctly posted, later it was because of personal insults.
Est51 wrote: This is, without doubt, the best board on the Web but it is degenerating into a farce at the moment, with many of us following the continuing saga of you and Dallara, or seeking out other contentious issues instead of enjoying the [mostly] useful information to be found here.
I am doing my best to fix this.
Est51 wrote: This is is your board [whatever that means] but that doesn't give you absolute rights. The board is made up of [more or less] like minded people who'd like to express themselves on biking matters and you should allow a great deal of "lattitude". Yes, you should move things about to match thread headings and yes, you should delete posts that are abusive but you shouldn't ban people without the rest of us knowing what transgressions have taken place and you shouldn't delete posts without any explanation [which happens often].
Sure it gives me the right. I try not to abuse my power and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I believe I am fair in my actions. And I do feel that I allow some latitude, but if someone is going to be rude, thats out of line and I wont stand for it. This is not how this place has behaved in the past and its not how it will behave in the future.
If someone posts content that does not meet the posting criteria, then I feel its ok for me to delete or move it. I generally will only erase obviously offensive material. And I also do not feel it needs any explanation. Frankly its too much work. If oyu find a post of yours gone, then its probably been moved, go look for it. If you cant find it at all, go read the guidelines in the off topic section and you find out why its been erased. The guidelines are quite simple, this is not brain surgery.
Est51 wrote: Trouble is, you're inconsistent. Take the "French" thread for instance. Whilst I'm happy to take the p*ss out of anyone, or have it taken out of me [I'm English for Chr*st's sake], that was out of order. So, what did you do? Absolutely nowt! Your own words are - "but one thing I absolutely do expect is that everyone treats everyone else with respect". No you don't. If the predjudices match your own, then they're OK.

Cheers, Steve
I'm sorry I'm not consistent. I do have a life outside of this website and if I cant be here 24/7 to read every single post and act immediately, too bad. I rely on my moderators to help me manage this place. Its simply not realistic for me to read every post and move every post and edit every post's content. This is why I take the path of least effort and if bothers a few along the way, I am truly sorry. But just dont mess up in the first place and everyone is happy. I'm sorry you see this as a lack of respect - I'm certainly not calling you an "ahole" while I do it.
Member #1
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Doug -
I have decided to move - and look - forward rather than backwards and am willing to let this pile of slanted, self-serving half-truths go.
Except where you say:
I think its slightly inappropriate to drag Dallara through a public display like this. I decided to post this in response as clearly he doesn’t mind if this is all public by requesting that Darth speak on his behalf.
Hey I don't care what you think, do, say, believe about Dallara - you guys just do your deal.
But you have jumped to a *very* wrong conclusion here buddy. When I learned of Dallara's "time out" I made the choice and posted in several places a basic, cryptic version of your actions.
Neither Dallara nor anyone else asked me to "speak on his behalf". Neither Dallara nor anyone else knew I was posting about the "time out" until they read it on the board.
The posts were not on "Dallara's behalf." They were on the board's behalf. That's because the only way we get any information from you is to cause something to happen that pretty much forces you to speak. When you do, a lot gets said...most of it 'between the lines'.
You had this figured out all wrong Doug.
I believe you have a number of things figured out all wrong.
The board may be all yours and entirely under your "power" but that sure as hell doesn't mean you "get it."

I assume your apologies to Dallara and me will be forthcoming.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

darthrider wrote:Doug -
I have decided to move - and look - forward rather than backwards and am willing to let this pile of slanted, self-serving half-truths go.
Except where you say:
I think its slightly inappropriate to drag Dallara through a public display like this. I decided to post this in response as clearly he doesn’t mind if this is all public by requesting that Darth speak on his behalf.
Hey I don't care what you think, do, say, believe about Dallara - you guys just do your deal.
But you have jumped to a *very* wrong conclusion here buddy. When I learned of Dallara's "time out" I made the choice and posted in several places a basic, cryptic version of your actions.
Neither Dallara nor anyone else asked me to "speak on his behalf". Neither Dallara nor anyone else knew I was posting about the "time out" until they read it on the board.
The posts were not on "Dallara's behalf." They were on the board's behalf. That's because the only way we get any information from you is to cause something to happen that pretty much forces you to speak. When you do, a lot gets said...most of it 'between the lines'.
You had this figured out all wrong Doug.
I believe you have a number of things figured out all wrong.
The board may be all yours and entirely under your "power" but that sure as hell doesn't mean you "get it."

I assume your apologies to Dallara and me will be forthcoming.
Darth and Dallara, I am sorry for my innapropriate assumption as noted in my previous message.

Darth, I dont have to "get it" to make this a nice place for you.

Now you can apologize for calling my post a half truth and self-serving. For one, I dont recall making up anything, and second, if you think any of this crap is self-serving, you are mistaken, friend.

I assume your apology to me will be forthcoming
Member #1
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

This is amazing!

....and it puts advrider to shame...

Jeebus crikey this a WEBSITE!

IMHO Doug does a great job on what is undoubtedly one of the best (if not THE best) motorcycle sites on the WWW, esp. if you ride an R1150R.

Doug is right when he mentiones the silent majority. I have recieved a shed load of messages from 'virtual' friends on this site bemoaning all the shenanigans of late. A lot of silent folks also DO have issues with Dallara - I have an inbox full of emails that attest to that.

I mostly lurk these dayz and its very sad to read all this nonsense (there Doug - I am behaving myself this time....).

I think some of you are so pumped up with emotion you cannot grasp (or indeed do not wish to grasp) what Doug has been articulating. Allan has 'issues' - there - said it. He does come across as condescending and HAS personally attacked other contributers on numerous occasions. BTW I have personally never complained to Doug FWIW.

Lastly just wanted to add.....

WELL DONE DOUG!!!

:smt038
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Doug said:
Darth, I dont have to "get it" to make this a nice place for you.
Doug, with all respect...this is what you don't "get".

*You* don't make this a "nice place for me".

The people on the board do.
And their ideas, experience, maturity, humor, intelligence and friendship.
The part you provide is invaluable and is appreciated, I've told you that a number of times.
But the heart, the soul, the personality, the character, the *life* of the board comes from the building's occupants, not it's architect.
The people have been asking you for some changes...you've done it before with the various sections, even the Playhouse which I think mostly sucks.
Thank you for those things...again.
It's not *all* about "posting in the right place" and "playing nice" Doug, there's a good bit more.
Your constituents are looking for more, better, for some change.
You can listen, and "get it"...or not.

Sorry but I don't think I have anything I should apologize for.

Britnheaven -
Oh never mind...
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Darth, I fully understood what you meant, and I actually will even agree with you; I am not as close to the action as some of you - I never claimed to be. But, plaster is useless without a mold. I'm working on a nice mold.

The apology I requested was for you calling me a liar ("half-truths" means "half-lying" if you ask me). Anyway, dont bother. I was just trying to make a point. :smt116
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

mcooperstein wrote:Now, I may be wrong about this, but I'm guessing that Dallara contacted Dave about his "time out", or contacted somebody about it, maybe for sympathy, or maybe because he just cant stand being ostracized and has to vindicate himself. He could have just kept it to himself, took a week off, and quietly resumed business as usual. Instead, people are going to get all blown up over this, and they dont know or have all the facts. They don't need to know either!

Mark

Been offline all weekend and some back to this mess.

Mark - I disagree totally that "They don't need to know either". That sort of thinking will only end with seperation between those in the know and those who want to know what's going on, and it will tear the board apart.

Do you not read the news? See what's happened with the Latest Gulf-War "Distraction"?? Those "in the know" decided to do one thing without explaining why correctly and you have the current mess.

Honesty and openness please - from everyone.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Doug wrote: I don’t like managing this board, I like reading it,
If that is truly the case Doug - would you consider selling up and allowing someone else to manage the board?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Est51 wrote:Hi Doug.

This is not "a private matter" as, unless we all dredge every single post, we have absolutely no idea what this is all about. All we can see from the outside is that Dallara has been banned for no aparent reason. You say that Pat has been "warned of his equally inappropriate actions towards Dallara" but if these are "equally inappropriate" why hasn't he been given a "time out" too?

This is, without doubt, the best board on the Web but it is degenerating into a farce at the moment, with many of us following the continuing saga of you and Dallara, or seeking out other contentious issues instead of enjoying the [mostly] useful information to be found here.

This is is your board [whatever that means] but that doesn't give you absolute rights. The board is made up of [more or less] like minded people who'd like to express themselves on biking matters and you should allow a great deal of "lattitude". Yes, you should move things about to match thread headings and yes, you should delete posts that are abusive but you shouldn't ban people without the rest of us knowing what transgressions have taken place and you shouldn't delete posts without any explanation [which happens often].

Trouble is, you're inconsistent. Take the "French" thread for instance. Whilst I'm happy to take the p*ss out of anyone, or have it taken out of me [I'm English for Chr*st's sake], that was out of order. So, what did you do? Absolutely nowt! Your own words are - "but one thing I absolutely do expect is that everyone treats everyone else with respect". No you don't. If the predjudices match your own, then they're OK.

Cheers, Steve
here, here.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Doug.....just a thought.....what if you gave Dave a 'Peckerheads' section on the board just like you gave Pat his 'Pat's Playhouse' section....I'm not sure if that would help fix any of these problems...and they are problems...it's just a thought.

Personally I'd rather see only one section and have everything on it...like the way the R1100S guys do it..if you click on something and see that it's not something you're interested in you just click on the back button and move on to the next topic.

With this board every time I log on I have to check out about five different sections to check everything out..(I'm sure most just look at the main board and miss some good stuff)...and then we would never post in the wrong section.. :D

DJ
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

My opinion doesn't count for too much here, but I'd have to agree with DJ on this. With the growth of the board, more specific choices for forums might be a really good idea...with a "Peckerheads" (or some such) forum similar to the Playhouse forum.

The playhouse might be the place to put many things but really only the political crap is what gets attention there. The rest just seems to get ignored.

I don't visit it much, but on the ADVRIDER board, you know eaxctly where to go (Jo Mama) if you want to be abused! :?

Edited: Excuse me. I just reread DJ's post. He wants just the opposite! Fewer forums! Okay DJ, you're a bloody----- for wanting that. I oughta ----- for ------ that. :roll: Okay. What do we know? Just some changes are in order...maybe. :lol:
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

"With this board every time I log on I have to check out about five different sections to check everything out..(I'm sure most just look at the main board and miss some good stuff)...and then we would never post in the wrong section.. "

Here is a tip for easier access to the board:

1. Bookmark this link.
http://www.r1150r.org/board/

2. Login in to check private messages: For some reason the software writes a rock solid cookie that has lasted months for me with IE or Firefox.

3. Use the link in the upper right "View posts since last visit".
This link will order all the posts in date order across sections.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Actually, there already IS a section for the little peckers..... it's called the OFF TOPICS forum.

I for one, have really learned how to take full advantage of the variety of forums made available. I visit another site where EVERYTHING is in the same forum, and it's a klusterf*ck of information...... you have NO IDEA what you're about to open, and as a result makes for a lot of unnecessary waste motion.
Member #31
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Pat wrote:Actually, there already IS a section for the little peckers..... it's called the OFF TOPICS forum.
Who are you calling a "little pecker"????

;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

.....just leave mine outa this.

:?
Member #31