Page 1 of 1

Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:03 pm
by duckdave
Don't forget the 17th annual Ride to Work Day.

Image

Pass it on!

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 pm
by Ian
is it a international day

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 pm
by duckdave
Well, there is a Ride to Work Worldwide page: http://www.ridetowork.org/ride-to-work-worldwide

And there was one at least in 2005 in NSW: http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/101.html

Looks like there might be an opportunity here.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 pm
by NAIAD
Just be careful out there...decided to participate in '97, even though I rarely rode to work...outcome? Totalled Ducati 900SS via inattentive Subaru driver. The classic, "but, I never saw him officer." Hard to see a bright red Duc in the HOV lane, with it's high beam on...it's a jungle out there! :shock:

Ciao! BJ

Rider's Breakfast

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:22 am
by maduko
It has become an international event. And it is a jungle out there.

Our mayor has officially endorsed it! We are working with a couple of local shops in Tulsa to sponsor a breakfast that morning. Details are available at http://www.twowheelok.com

Anyone in NE Oklahoma area please join us!

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 pm
by NAIAD
Hmm...I don't work anymore (well, except for the Honey Do List), so does that mean I can't ride? Oh well, some rules are made to be broken, so I will be riding that day.

And most other days as well!

Ciao!

BJ (Retirement Specialist 1st Class)

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:50 pm
by TonyT607
Well, I won't be riding to work that day as I'll be on my way to Wyoming for the rally.... 8)

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm
by towerworker
I wish I could. Since my accident (s) I am no longer allowed to ride my bike to work due to insurance reasons (theirs).

Wayne

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:10 am
by CycleRob
I'm retired and don't work. I guess I'll just take Ann out for a 9AM breakfast ride to our local Waffle House. Great bottomless cup-o-coffee there. After 3 cups, the ride home is different . . . . . in a good way. :smt081

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:03 am
by sjbmw
towerworker wrote:I wish I could. Since my accident (s) I am no longer allowed to ride my bike to work due to insurance reasons (theirs).

Wayne
You should contact the AMA about this. There is a bill in Congress right now to make this practice illegal.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert ... id=9408876

Every street, water, dirt, or horse rider should contact their representatives.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 am
by towerworker
This is the gist of my situation.........we have two locations---my office is in our business office and then we have a shop across town where our tower crews work out of and we keep our trucks and equipment there. I frequently have to go back and forth between the two and often times visit a crew on their job site. Our insurance carrier has strongly recommended to our powers-that-be that the company is exposing itself to huge liability issues by allowing employees to ride a m/c while on the clock (payroll). My time spent on the road to a site visit or simply across town to the shop is all paid time (hence I'm on their nickel) While on the clock I have to be in an enclosed vehicle. All of this came about as a result of me totaling my 03 last November while on the way back home from a site visit (on the clock).

We have future plans to combine both locations into one facility----when that happens life will become a tad easier for me in terms of m/c riding to work.

Our insurance agent is also a motorcyclist so I'm pretty certain he's being straight with us.

Wayne

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 pm
by duckdave
So, did anyone "ride to work" today?

I did. But then I also did every other day the past two months or more. So does that count?

One board member rescued another in NJ today. Tell us your story.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 am
by sjbmw
Yes I did!

Had to go in late, my son took his moped "road test" at DMV, and passed. (Yes, mopeds are motorcycles in NJ, license, registration, and insurance please) So I jumped on the R, and rode to the train station.

Doing it again today.

There was a 40 something year old fellow in line at the DMV, taking his road test on a new Fat Boy. He was watching the tight turns with the little cones and says "I should give your kid some money to use that moped, I don't know if I am going to get this bike through those cones". I had to agree with him, it was a tight testing space.

I took the opportunity to advise him of a MSF course offered in the parking lot of a local HD dealer. The use Buell's there, and when you complete the course successfully, it's a DMV road test equivalent.

Did not stick around to see how he did, but I hope he explores the advice not matter what. Recent stats show that the over 40 first riders are climbing in motorcycle fatalities.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:55 am
by Buckster
I did....but I guess I do almost everyday!

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm
by dcameron
I did - but have been riding to work 3 - 4 times a week this summer. 8)

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:00 pm
by R4R&R
I rode Wednesday, and all other days too. I did notice a lot more bikes on the road during my commute. Good to see them all out there.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 pm
by wncbmw
I did and unlike most of the previous posters, I don't every day for a variety of reasons, including not putting excess wear on my expensive fun machine and expensive tires! But we had 2 bikes in the parking lot that aren't usually there.

When I get my Suzuki DR, I might ride that more often to work, though!

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 pm
by Biff's R
I did not. My vehicle, and its fuel are provided to me by my employer. I also had to carry around a lot5 more crap than I could fit on the saddlebags. I only ride to work, when the pick up is getting serviced.

Re: Ride to Work Day, July 16

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:37 pm
by OU812
I was off. :roll:
Well I got off at 7am and rode home. All 10 miles. [-(