Page 1 of 1

Product evaluation; Twinmax carb/throttle body balancer.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:19 am
by Taipan
Hi All
My bike hasn't run right since I got it. based on previous Boxer ownership i suspected the throttle bodies were out of balance. My old Carbtune had got sticky rods and was giving very misleading readings. So I decided to go for a new Twinamx as these alwasy seem to get rave reviews. So I ordered one up from Calamander

My Twinmax arrived yesterday and I used it last night. This machine is sheer bloody genius! I can’t believe how easy it is to use and what a difference it made to my bike!

Ok, my bike was way out of tune so the improvement was very noticeable, but the Twinmax is still a superb bit of kit. My carbtune went straight in the bin. Best £59.95 I've spent in a long time!

My idle balance was so far out it took 3/4 of a turn of the big brass screw to get the balance right

At 2.5k it wasn't very far out but the difference in such a slight adjutsment was astounding. My bike struggled to pulll past 5k and felt like it was actually misfiring! Pulls good and strong now. I also have throttle response and I am using less throttle to sit at speed than I was before!

My bike has been transformed from a lumpy gutless pig into a smooth(ish) raging bull!

The Twinmax get the prestigious Taipan 10/10 rating. 8) [/url]

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:29 pm
by jm1515
The thing I like is that you can stick the TM to the gas cap and accurately check TBS while riding...under all load conditions.
Can't do that with mercstyx etc.
Yep, 10/10 for ease of use/accuracy in my book too....

twinmax

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:39 pm
by madbinkster
guys...i've been soooo impressed with the twimnax i have actually considered making a permanent installation for "tuning on the fly". i haven't broke open the box yet to see how large the guts actually are, but believe me, if there's a way to make the body smaller and mount it on the dash i'm going for it.
now, how can i make a remote throttle cable adjuster for the right tb?

anyhoo, this device makes the boxer a lot easier to keep schweeet!!

bink

Is the Twinmax available in Canada or the US?

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:40 am
by X-Cruiser
I was just going through some old threads (always lots of good info for newbie Rockster owners) and found your info on the Twinmax. I was just about to buy a Carbstix, but may now consider a Twinmax. Are they available in Canada or the US?

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:55 am
by taosports
For a humorous and very informative pdf on using the TwinMax, check out the Adventure Rider site :

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/

Scroll down to the bottom for the "Oilhead Throttle Body Synching for Dummies" link.

Thanksk for the info

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:43 pm
by X-Cruiser
Michael, thanks so much for the link. :D The info on TB synching was both humourous and informative. I printed it off for future reference, and also printed off the manual on valve adjustment by the same authors. :) There was a link in the manual for adventuremotogear.com (who apparently import the product to the US), but the link doesnt work anymore. :cry: I've contacted Calamander to find out what the delivered cost will be.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:42 pm
by taosports
Robb,

I bought mine through my local BMW shop. Here is the link you were trying to find :

http://www.adventuremotogear.com/twinma ... I5489DF2C1

The importer/distributor is CBT Imports and they can be reached at 800-782-4686 or check out their dealer list at :

http://www.cbtimports.com/

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:46 am
by Boxer
Also, check out the article on synching using the TwinMax in the BMW ON September '05 issue. Very good!

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 pm
by Taipan
Interstingly enough...our local service guy uses mercury sticks. he tested them against a Twin maxes and found the mecury sticks more accurate! I was bit scpetical at first but he has improved a few peoples bikes who previously used a twinmax?