The R1200R of Vespas .. g'day Jess
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 am
Having just spent waaaaay too much money on Hildegard (lights, hand/leg/foot shields, horn, battery) I have got her the ultimate accessory to save her the ignominy of my erratic inner-city riding style.
A Vespa GTS250ie. Dragon Red, of course. No accessories yet, save a short screen and topcase. It comes home on Saturday. http://piaggio.com.au/vespa/GTS250ie
Having started research on new-to-me thingies like "variators" I've found our Jess' "Modern Vespa" forum a revelation. Seems scooters are incredibly cheap to farkle - though I'll probably stick to suspension etc until the warranty is up.
I've been riding my Piaggio Fly 125cc for the past 3 months - http://piaggio.com.au/piaggio/Fly125 (is "fly" a pun on "wasp"?) - it's perfect for solo work in tight lanes, at just 110kg (~240lbs) and OK up to about 70kmh /40mph in traffic, but with only 7.8Kw/10.5hp & 10Nm / 7.4ft/lbs it can't handle a pillion or sustain 80kmh / 50mph on steep hills, and its suspension is made of spagetti while the brakes feel like soggy pizza. The GTS at 148kg / 325lbs is more of a handfull in tight spots, but its 16.5Kw/22.1hp & 20.3Nm / 15ft/lbs and acceptable brakes (ABS in Europe but not US or Australia .. huh?) + more supple and capable suspension means it will do the rest of the city work with ease. Plus take the cute one places, which the Fly on wished it could ...
I thought I'd have trouble adjusting to scooters after a lifetime on BMWs - in fact, a few years ago I test rode some and walked away shaking like a leaf - but not so now. It's the other way about: I find the R12R steering unresponsive for the first 2-5 km (then the supreme ability of its motor, suspension and brakes take over). I now sometimes find myself doing ridiculous things on the tiny scooter, before I calm myself down ... the Fly has no chicken strips left, for instance (that's a wowee for me), and I've locked up the brakes inadvertently a few times ... even slid sideways to a halt in front of some kids once (pure arse, but I took my bow anyway
). The GTS250 will command more respect - a long-ish test drive in tricky streets (steep, cambered, tight, bumpy) tells me I'll have to grow up or come a cropper (and I've read similar gotta-grow-up comments from longtime bikers who test scooters for magazines).
My best discovery has been not so much the ease of city scootering, but the Corazzo brand of riding gear (jackets and gloves). Stylish enough to wear into a cafe, OK for short runs in city downpours (it is designe in Portland, Oregon!!). It can't replace quality touring wear, but then it's about 25% of the price of my BMW gear ... I wish they did pants and shoes!!
http://www.corazzo.com/
A Vespa GTS250ie. Dragon Red, of course. No accessories yet, save a short screen and topcase. It comes home on Saturday. http://piaggio.com.au/vespa/GTS250ie
Having started research on new-to-me thingies like "variators" I've found our Jess' "Modern Vespa" forum a revelation. Seems scooters are incredibly cheap to farkle - though I'll probably stick to suspension etc until the warranty is up.
I've been riding my Piaggio Fly 125cc for the past 3 months - http://piaggio.com.au/piaggio/Fly125 (is "fly" a pun on "wasp"?) - it's perfect for solo work in tight lanes, at just 110kg (~240lbs) and OK up to about 70kmh /40mph in traffic, but with only 7.8Kw/10.5hp & 10Nm / 7.4ft/lbs it can't handle a pillion or sustain 80kmh / 50mph on steep hills, and its suspension is made of spagetti while the brakes feel like soggy pizza. The GTS at 148kg / 325lbs is more of a handfull in tight spots, but its 16.5Kw/22.1hp & 20.3Nm / 15ft/lbs and acceptable brakes (ABS in Europe but not US or Australia .. huh?) + more supple and capable suspension means it will do the rest of the city work with ease. Plus take the cute one places, which the Fly on wished it could ...
I thought I'd have trouble adjusting to scooters after a lifetime on BMWs - in fact, a few years ago I test rode some and walked away shaking like a leaf - but not so now. It's the other way about: I find the R12R steering unresponsive for the first 2-5 km (then the supreme ability of its motor, suspension and brakes take over). I now sometimes find myself doing ridiculous things on the tiny scooter, before I calm myself down ... the Fly has no chicken strips left, for instance (that's a wowee for me), and I've locked up the brakes inadvertently a few times ... even slid sideways to a halt in front of some kids once (pure arse, but I took my bow anyway
My best discovery has been not so much the ease of city scootering, but the Corazzo brand of riding gear (jackets and gloves). Stylish enough to wear into a cafe, OK for short runs in city downpours (it is designe in Portland, Oregon!!). It can't replace quality touring wear, but then it's about 25% of the price of my BMW gear ... I wish they did pants and shoes!!
http://www.corazzo.com/

