Retirement Roadster

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Caroanbill
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Retirement Roadster

Post by Caroanbill »

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... oter-pics/

OK, so I already ride a Vespa. I've also go incipient leg / feet problems ... so one day I might need a scooter-cum-autobike ... I'd like three wheels in Piaggio MP3 style, ie leaning 3 wheels (or 4) , no omigod-I'm-falling-over Can Am Spider style (just watched Wayne Gardner lift each front wheel too easily doing laps at the Phillip Isalnd MotoGP event) - say 60 to 80Kw, 90 to 100Nm, no chain (Aprilia Mana and Gilera GP800 have chain final drive) and great luggage. Ah, I dream ...
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
CRazyCam
Basic User

Re: Retirement Roadster

Post by CRazyCam »

First up, don't write off the CanAm Spyder without at least trying it.

Yes, it isn't a motorbike, and doesn't feel like one, but it isn't anything else either.

It is a unique experience, and the push button gear shift on the one I tried is a delight!

Like me, you may not like it, but, unless you try it you won't know.

Frankly, the leaning three wheelers scare me, since there must be a point somewhere, when you run out of lean. <shrug>

How about a big Leadwing, or even, perish the thought, a big touring BMW, with those "training wheels" fitted that automatically wind up and down?

Actually, there is a German bloke, living some place in the Sydney area that has a big BM, fitted with a leanable sidecar rig, so as he rides the Bimmer like a solo, and the sidecar just sort of sits there. It sure looks impressive!

regards,CrazyCam
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Sorry to reply to myself, but I just realised that my typing got well ahead of my brain. :(

In my previous comment, I had intended to also say that, as an alternative to going auto, a large number of normal motorcycles can have electric/electronic push button gear shifting added to them.

regards,CrazyCam
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

I do like the look of the CanAm. especially the touring version, and I have sat on one and done the short test track - but the leaning scooters are a far better solution. They go to lean angles that would be reasonable on a touring bike, so are bike-like with extra stability and another contact patch. After all, it's the contact patch that limits bikes more than anything else. In fact, there are persistent rumours and web mock-ups of a 4-wheel leaning "bike" ... but that raises the issue of a differential and lotsa extra weight. (plus the motor in the Can Am is a bit underpowered for that applciation - or so it feels .. a case of the motor Bombadier had available, rather than the ideal motor, I suspect)

As for "selectable" gearing: the Aprilia Mana / Gilera SP800 already have this running off a CVT. This gives twist-and-go for the city and gears for country riding - the best of both worlds. The FJR et al robot gear changes don't offer this and seem to heavy ... having driven a few VW DSG boxes, I'd have to say that solution isn't exactly elegant on 4 wheels yet, let alone 2. (By contrast, the Steptronic auto in BMWs like my old 528, is a joy to drive).

So, back to BMW - the concept scoot is actually too small for a touring machine when you see the pics with a rider for scale. At that size, I'd stick to my Vespa! But, give it fuss-free drive, openorad wheel / suspension, reasonable weight distribution (take a heavy passenger on a Vespa and you'll get the problem of current scooter motor-in-drive design!!!) and a selectable CVT .. and you could take the Burgman concept to a new level ... especially with reasonable luggage capacity. In essence, a laid-back RT ...
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Well, FWIW, I was impressed by the big Bergman, apart from it's weight, which totally ruled it out as an option for me.

Also, my wife was underwhelmed by the looks of the big Suzi scoot..... (which also killed the idea!)

I am going to try and get a test ride on the Honda VFR1200 with, I think, DSG, push button and auto shifting, but, I really don't like the linked brakes business on it from previous riding of Honda linked brake machines.

I noticed you mentioned the VW DSG business, (Sorry about slipping into car mode here!) I was thinking about trying out one of those Skoda 7-speed beasties.

<sigh> This advancing age and bodies being to fail in various bits, makes choosing a decent conveyance so bloody hard. :(

regards,CrazyCam
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

CRazyCam wrote: This advancing age and bodies being to fail in various bits, makes choosing a decent conveyance so bloody hard. :(
Ain't that the truth! I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the MP3 / Fuoco - I've seen pics and read reports of them doing quite amazing rides. I wonder if it could cope with more oomph pushing from the back - biggest motor so far a 500cc single, but I wonder if eventually the GP800 Vtwin might go into that format. A single rear wheel has to be a better light 'cycle application than a rear diff ...

As for DSG, I read BMW is experimenting with a dual-clutch system and may get weights into motorcycle range. If it's still a "bike" format tahn I'm not interested coz I can still change gears - I like the scoot format of low step-thru, plus auto ...

Dunno how the Skoda / VW DSG is - I didn't like it, but some folks love it
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

OU812 wrote:The new Honda VFR looks good.
Ummm .. nup. 591lbs / 268kg, and that's before the optional dual clutch. BTDT (292kg K1100LT) - that's why I'm on an R1200R!

Still daydreaming about a 3-wheel, leaning bike with 100+nm and 75+kw and selectable CVT ...
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Caroanbill wrote:
OU812 wrote:The new Honda VFR looks good.
Still daydreaming about a 3-wheel, leaning bike with 100+nm and 75+kw and selectable CVT ...
You are not alone! [-o<
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

For the life of me I don't understand why folks who find themselves needing to leave the world of two wheels so readily dismiss a beautiful convertable sports car.....besides, your girl can finally sit next to you. I understand folks should drive what THEY like....but as for me, I couldn't enjoy a heavy Goldwing or three-wheeler when I could have one of these beauties.

ImageImage
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
OU812
Lifer