Do I need a guard for the oil cooler on a new R1200R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SteelD
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Do I need a guard for the oil cooler on a new R1200R?

Post by SteelD »

Is it a wise move to fit a guard to the oil cooler radiator to protect it from stone damage? If so, what are the front runners in terms of quality, fit, finish and general good looks?

Thanks

David
David
2012 BMW R1200R
bmr66
Basic User

Re: Do I need a guard for the oil cooler on a new R1200R?

Post by bmr66 »

I just ordered one from Wunderlich...looked good and another member liked it.
'07 R1200R, '07 F650GS
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I believe it is a very good idea to protect the oil cooler from debris strikes, particularly given its location. I have one on my bike, but cannot recall the brand. It is not a Wunderlich.... Touratech maybe. It does the job.... so far.

Edit: Nope not a Touratech either. Both the Wunderlich and Touratech look beefier than mine any way.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
citrusbbee
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 553

Post by citrusbbee »

I also ordered one from Wunderlich. I think the protection is a good idea and Wunderlich products are top-notch.
Citrusbbee
Member #553
'04 Rockster Ed80 (#967)
'15 R1200RT
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

SteelD wrote:Is it a wise move to fit a guard to the oil cooler radiator to protect it from stone damage?

In my experience a radiator guard has not been needed, mine to this day is undamaged even with thousands of miles off tarmac.
The fender protects it, and a street tire could never pick up a rock and carry it up to the radiator IMO.
Fitting anything in front the radiator restricts airflow, even if just a small amount. I'd rather my bike was cooling the most it can, but that's just me.

Get Lost!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Joe is pretty much the acid test.. If he can't destroy it, it can't be destroyed.

That said - I made one for about $2 from some perf-aluminum sheeting. If the noobs want to search back to the early days of this forum there are details.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

I had to fabricate one back in 2007 ("glued" a piece of expanded mesh to the back of my cooler shroud) - and mine has had a hit or two.

I'd say you're more at risk from loose small gravel on sealed roads than in the adventure land of Joe (all hail!) - on our Aussie backroads we often get a spray from passing trucks, shooting low across the road or even quite high (lost a few windscreens in my time). Trucks and trailers "drag" gravel onto the sealed surface on corners, and then another vehicle picks it up and shoots it out.

Higher radiators / coolers are probably at more risk (had to trailer a mate's FJR on the Snowy Mountains Highway - a fast, sealed road)

... anyway, mine is simply peace of mind insurance based on experience in the Australian bush, where a failure can be well out of mobile phone coverage and over 100km from help.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Caroanbill wrote: ... anyway, mine is simply peace of mind insurance based on experience in the Australian bush, where a failure can be well out of mobile phone coverage and over 100km from help.

Now that makes sense, luckily I haven't had this problem in the US.
I'm surely not judging anyone, just sharing my experience to date. :D
Get Lost!
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Lost Rider wrote: Now that makes sense, luckily I haven't had this problem in the US.
Agreed! I don't think taking a sizeable rock at low speed (ie your usual adventures or my nightmares!) is such an issue. No real energy (no velocity = no momentum) and larger imact area generally means a big "bang" but no damage (in my 4WD experience). It's small gravel flung at significant open road speed (speed 'flung' out + speed of bike hit) with a tight impact area that do the damage I've seen. You wouldn't think a thumbnail-sized gravel piece would penetrate an FJR radiator, but it did - coolant all over the place!

I had an interesting dent in my mesh cooler screen a couple fo years ago (no pic) - enough to replace it, thankfully no scar on the oil cooler tubes. Yet absolutely no recollection of the impact - think it happened on the Kidman Way with a stone flung from a road train .. I was doing ... ummm .. err .. starts with a "2" (metric bike)
:oops:
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
SteelD
Basic User

Post by SteelD »

Thanks guys. I am tempted to fit the Wunderlich oil cooler guard as insurance more than anything. I was also thinking of a Fenda Extenda as well to stop things being thrown into the cooler but probably won't for three reasons 1) A bolt-on piece of black plastic isn't going to look too good on an Apple Red Metallic fender, 2) I think that the spinning wheel generates an air current that is pushed through the cooler rather like spray coming off a tyre on a wet road and an extenda may reduce the effectiveness of the cooling (much more so than a guard), and 3) there don't seem to be many extendas listed for the 2011/2012 model - even the Wunderlich site says theirs is for pre-2011 bikes.

David
David
2012 BMW R1200R
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Welcome aboard, David!

See this thread for a couple of DIY oil cooler screens:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21833&p=191555&hil ... er#p191555

Save your farkle money for something you can't do yourself.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

I first made one of stainless mesh because I did find some dented fins, presumably from pebbles and stuff like that. Eventually I got the Wunderlich. I still collect asphalt chips in the cooler but no more damage.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Woland
Basic User

Post by Woland »

Lost Rider wrote:
Caroanbill wrote: ... anyway, mine is simply peace of mind insurance based on experience in the Australian bush, where a failure can be well out of mobile phone coverage and over 100km from help.

Now that makes sense, luckily I haven't had this problem in the US.
+1. 60k km on my bike so far, 95% of it on paved roads, some of it at high speed. Only minor markings on the oilcooler from impacting pebbles, lots of dead bugs trapped in the mesh though ;)

But conditions vary and I don't begrudge anyone increased feelings of security. My own personal opinion, based on my experience, is that its not needed.