Time to part with Stella!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Time to part with Stella!

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

After nearly 100k miles on Stella! she has been replaced by Blanche Du Bois. The reason: the servo pump on her abs has failed. I have contacted modulemasters in Idaho to investigate their repair, but they are not yet working on the particular one the 2004 has, and may not until late this year or next. :(

So, my options are doing the $2700 repair at the dealer, or removing the ABS altogether-a la Sweatmark, but in any case (hard to write) selling her.

As readers of this forum know, she has been well cared for and is very well traveled. She is in excellent shape. I see the prices of used 2004s with far fewer miles, and I question whether a 2004 with 12k miles would be in better shape than a 2004 that has been used regularly and well-cared for. My answer is no, but I realize some only look at mileage, and not how lack of mileage can adversely affect a bike.
But the ABS thing is there. I rode her again the other day, and I can say that there is a rawness, a badgirl quality to the 1150 that has been "refined" out of the 1200. Hard to make the call whether that's good or bad. YMMV fa'sure.

So, With the interest in 2004s out there, I wanted to throw my dilemma out there for feedback.
I think the ideal buyer would be someone who does not want abs, is willing to remove it, and is familiar with the breed.
I have only a vague idea on price, but would want input from forum members. Someone will be getting a well cared for, quick steed with a history, cosmetically in very good condition, and some useful options, i.e. all the stuff I have that is particular to the 1150 and not the 1200--some tools, filters, sidecases, topbox, tank bag, etc.
For pictures, look for any of the Travels with Stella! blogs in Great Rides, or elsewhere under my avatar.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
lguardiola
Basic User
Donating Member #: 20

Re: Time to part with Stella!

Post by lguardiola »

You wouldn't consider going without ABS???....I think that if I was in your position, I would probably remove the ABS and keep it like that. But I guess that is because my 2004 R is non-ABS model.

This is just my opinion.

Luis
echo42kp
Basic User

Post by echo42kp »

If the bike is safe, have you considered giving it to a family member or someone that could really use it. If you sell the bike, you don't really get to pick who will carry on your memories-someone with money shows up, they take the bike, you take the money....never to be seen again. What are they going to do with it...part it out, burn it up, flip it, set the mileage back...etc.

If you give it to someone, you pick the person...a deserving vet, college student, son, brother, nephew, neighbor..etc. You will know that it is going to a good person or a good cause, you can visit on the weekends. Take your time picking a person, build an honorable criteria for the selection.

But at the end of the day, money talks and BS walks. I just don't know what it is worth and how much time, effort, and heartache would go along with selling it.

I know how you feel. I have a bunch of crap my grandmother left me that I have no use for (china, silverware, tea sets..etc). I could probably get about a thousand dollars for it but would feel guilty as hell for selling it. It has traveled the United States with me in my different moves, it is the most well traveled set of dishes in the US. I think I am going to give it to my daughter and let her carry it (physically and mentally) for the next twenty years.
Last edited by echo42kp on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo42kp
Basic User

Post by echo42kp »

Oh BTW, I am in no way comparing Grandma's crap to your great bike...just a comparison in feelings.
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Throw some knobbies on it and go exploring. :twisted:
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

I have a good friend who would want it, but with a functioning abs. I could visit. It would be taken care of, but that's a lot of money to repair. My temptation is to remove the abs and sell it as a non abs telling the prospective buyer what I did.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Following with interest your posts. I too fell hard with NBF (new bike fever) this winter and spent several months trying to convince myself I needed this or that new (to me) bike. I even posted The Beast up for sale on this forum (my sins are still available for doubters to cast their eyes upon on the For Sale threads). Alas, my knowing audience, knowing how misguided I was during the fever offered up no offers. That, and the fact that I found no bikes superior or even close to my current stead, forced my hand.

So, I've been busy doing scheduled maintenance for 39K, remembering I forgot the change the plugs at 36K (oh, what a difference that makes!) and generally getting her ready for a 2000+ mile gig with my brother and friend from Turkey. I lowered the pegs (not as easy as it should of been, but eventually successful) and am looking forward to that making a big difference (not that I've had a problem with the folding, but that it makes sense I would enjoy not doing it). Eagerly awaiting my parts from easternbeaver.com to install a fuse box to run my gps (thanks, Dr. Strangelove for your suggestions on getting that gig going), etc. Maybe changing my brake pads (got the parts, but are they squealing yet?) etc. etc.

All that said, it does make me nervous being left behind here in R1150R-land with so many of my friends abandoning their core values. You, going off to R1200R-land (how I envy you) and Boxer going off to F650-land, and CycleRob getting his own forum for F800s; even Taosports is showing up in the F world———I mean, what's the world coming too?
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

John,
Like me I'm sure you rode non-ABS bikes for many years. Our ignorance didn't stop us being blissed out.
I can't remember a catastrophic lock up. And since I've had ABS bikes I have never had it activate in an emergency.
So logically you should have been able to keep your (now) non-ABS Stella and ride on.
But now you have a 1200 and an 1150! Having two similar bikes in the garage is like having two wives - it sounds like a good idea but can only cause trouble.
The superior 1200 will get the most attention while the faithful 1150 will be lucky to get an occasional outing.
As you say these bikes need to be ridden regularly. Sell it to whoever fronts up with the cash and then settle in to getting the same attachment for the 1200.
Chances are anyone who buys a high mileage, (now) non-ABS but well maintained 1150 really does appreciate these bikes. It will go to a good home!

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Hi, Ian,
Actually the 1150 is my first mc after my Vespa. So, I have only experienced abs.
And, right, I share your sentiment about the quality of the ride post abs, and that is probably where I'll go with this, ie do an abs-ectomy. Someone will get a good one, esp since I have seen the clutch splines and the fd when the clutch was replaced at 80k. I posted pictures on this forum of these, and there are only 18 k miles since.
And you say that like two wives is a bad thing. :D
And DDave, it wasn't NBF. I was concerend about putting that much money into her, knowing the long distance riding I do...well, maybe a little NBF, but that was less than 37.3578% of motive. I think.
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

I can't remember a catastrophic lock up
I just remembered a catastrophic lock up.
It involved roadworks, a pillion, a hole in the crank case cover and a kindly utility driver who loaded us and the bike into his vehicle and drove us 150 km home
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Doc, see PM.

Would rather that you "part with" than "part out".
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)