R1200R Wishlist?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

domekrome
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1200R Wishlist?

Post by domekrome »

I know that the specs for this bike are probably "carved in stone" already, what would you like to see in a new Roadster?

For me it is the following:

1) Engine from the R1200S - I rode one last weekend, and love the motor & power delivery

2) R1150R or Rockster ergos - I am biased towards the Rockster side

3) Less Weight - With the Hexhead's weight savings, I don't see why a new Roadster couldn't be in the 420-450 pound range (with fuel).

4) Full range of accessories - especially on the luggage side of things, a 'System' topcase would be a great addition to the System bags.

Your turn...
Jason
Rockster Edition 80 #893
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

I just wish to see one!

Anyway, since you asked,

- Engine from the GS, on the RR I'd rather have the engine tuned for torque. A Rockster version could have the S engine tuning.

- Standard bars

- Same ergos as the current RR

- Battery not under the tank

- ABS system from the S

- System computer that shows 2 trip odometers, oil temp, gas level, miles to empty

- weigh at about 480-490 wet, don't want it too light

- hard bags & sport screen

- LED tail lights & HID front light

- 5.5 - 6 gal fuel tank

- OHLINS suspension option
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Kevin50r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Wish List

Post by Kevin50r »

My dream R1200R
a. Owner serviceable
b. use easily obtainable filters, fluids, tires
c. choice of rim widths
1. 5 to 6 in for street
2. 4 to 4.5 for dual sport
d. no ABS/or choice
e. 0% financing
f. 80-90 hp/<450lbs
g. fully adjustable suspension both ends/ not electric type
h. durable body panels-not easily scratched and not easily dinged
i. two big bright in your face headlights/stacked vertically
j. pelican travel cases premounted
k. luggage rack that is actually useable
l. sub 10k price tag (US dollars)
m. a date with Elle McPherson
Member #363

2005 DL-650
2013 XT-1200Z
Kevin
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Wishing

Post by MikeCam »

Accessible battery, oil filter, tire valves, fluid drains and filler caps.

475 lbs wet or less.

110 hp crank; 95 lbs torque or so.

6 gears with no overdrive and the short final.

Adjustable front and rear suspension bits as Roadster was.

Naked Bike Ergos - the Roadster was fine. As was the KR.

Integrated sport panniers ala KR/KS/GS not ST/RT/GT.

Clearance higher than 4.5 front and 5.5 rear but not GS range.

Good color choices. No ugly wide stripes. No citrus colors. Black (matte or gloss), Midnight Blue, Red, Yellow. Real bike colors!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.

Post by Guest »

Well, as long as we're wishing:

Hydralic Valves. Hey, a Buell that makes 120 hp at 8000 RPM's has them - you telling me BMW can't get this one right??? :roll:

jb
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

What Buell makes 120 hp stock? Their 1200 motors are rated at 103.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/home.asp

If there is a self-adjusting valve in the future of higher tech bikes, it might be electronically controlled. When that becomes less costly, we could see it spread the way fuel injection has.

I just want the RT motor and the option for 3 hard bags. I like a revvier motor, but that is just my personal preference. The GS motor is good, and tractor-like, but I wanna rev out a little more quickly. I like the motor in my R1150R - give it more power and keep the same general shape to the power curve.
crousos
Lifer

R1200R in September?

Post by crousos »

My dealer here in NJ mentioned that the BMW factory is closing early this summer (July instead of August) and by September R1200R will be out.

Tinos
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Please add this to the wish list.

No Beak.. :D

DJ
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I don't see it weighing any less than 450 lbs, probably more like 470~480 wet. I doubt they will offer a top case - too much competition with the 'touring' oriented bikes (ST, GS, RT, etc.). The lighter weight and more power will have a profound affect on the bike's performance.

As for the beak, it's quirky, but makes the bike unique. Luckily it falls in place with the lines on the current bike, but it could go without on the new.

I think a decent factory headlight would be nice - something that actually lights up the road in front of you at night!

Looking forward to spy pictures. Where are they????
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
pepebmw
Basic User

Post by pepebmw »

R1200R MOTOR - SAME power as R1200S - Kick-ASS!

LOOKS - make it sexy. don't make it for old-farts! Put exhaust underseat means bigger saddlebags and give option for top box, dual headlights like the GS model, options of three fairings (sports, normal, and long haul ass tour)

COLOR - NO MORE SILVER paint crap, I want rims, shaft drive, frame, motor all black; flat-twin cover, either dark blue or black. I hope they'll make it graphite black/red stripes with two tone color seat (red front, black back) or blue/white stripe with blue white front seat and blue back seat, no? Heh! Rims - Black please, silver wheels are crap and uncool.

ERGOS - as comfy as Roadster but a little narrow seat please, higher pillon (pls include options for lower seat) , adjustable footpegs and foot shifters, adjustable hand levers

TIRES - wide please, I don't want narrow at all. I want it good for backroad burning and long trip hauling

BRAKES - how about RADIAL ABS!? Wavy discs please!

RULE OF THUMB, you big cool GERMAN designers:
DO NOT MAKE IT GER·I·AT·RIC!!!!!! Don't make old men feel old, make them feel YOUNG!!!! Come on! I am only 35, dude! Anyway, thanks for the ROCKSTER, I still love it!

:smt040
Nutty rider!
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Engine:
95 hp at the rear wheel, 85 torque. Geared for STRONG mid-range!

Ergos:
More sporty than "sit up & beg" of RT fame, but not with the width of Rockster bars. Narrow seat where the thighs hang for us height challenged. Foot controls on a peg-board type adjustable configuration.

Weight:
Under 475 pounds wet and with luggage.

Accessories:
System cases with discrete hardware, luggage carrier interchangeable with passenger pillion, sport fairing with different height screens to select from.

Bars:
Cables long enough to accept a BMW system of risers or no risers, adjustable grip angle ala Yamaha Vision of decades ago.....

Brakes:
Would a mechanical system of integrated brakes be a bad thing, ala Moto Guzzi of years ago?

Instruments:
At least three trip-meters, fuel gage, gear indicator, clock, oil temperature, and electronic compass.

Lamps:
LED clusters, modern hid or projector high beam, small "passing/driving" lamps slightly below and to the sides of the headlamp cluster.

Gas capacity:
200 mile 'total' range

Suspension:
Entry level affordable to keep the price down, but with adjustable pre-load front & rear.

Cosmetic stylings:
Naked, but designed with minimal damage from parking lot tip-overs. Pleeeese BMW, don't go with the new slab-sided cubist stylings of the new generation Beemer.....

Wheels:
That will accept readily available tires in popular sizes. We don't need no trendy fat tires!

In an overall affordable package....... YEAH, ROOOIGHT ! ! ! !
Member #31