Page 1 of 1

Big Black Bugs!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:12 am
by Mclintoc
Living in Illinois, there never is an absence of corn, and where there is corn there are bugs, but this year I have noticed an increase in the number of big black bugs (sorry for the technical jargon). They're huge, and when they hit my helmet they sound like rocks. I'm just glad I have a full-face helmet, without which my face would be covered in whelps about now.

So, I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this too.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:02 am
by sjbmw
Been relatively juice bullet free on the east coast.

We did have that nasty Cecada season a summer or 2 ago, and Route 95 at 80 mph was quite an adventure.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 am
by Boxer
You ain't lived until you've ridden through love-bug season in south Georgia or Florida. :shock:

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:52 am
by socalrob
What are these bug things you speak of?

One advantage to LA is I the lack of flying bugs. I only clean my face shield about every 1,000 miles. Maybe the smog kills em (its really the lack of humidity).

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:39 pm
by LonestaRR
Boxer wrote:You ain't lived until you've ridden through love-bug season in south Georgia or Florida. :shock:
.......and TEXAS.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:27 pm
by beemer-biker
Kristi wrote:
Boxer wrote:You ain't lived until you've ridden through love-bug season in south Georgia or Florida. :shock:
.......and TEXAS.
Don't forget LOUISIANA!!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:16 pm
by JCsman
LOVE BUGS! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alabama takes a back seat (pillion?) to no state when it comes to love bugs. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Trust me, a mesh jacket gets pretty danged messy when you hit a swarm. Not to mention that little vision issue.

But a friend from Wisconsin swears Mayflies are worse...I dunno, never ran into those. But he showed me a recent news article showing a may fly swarm that blanketed the weather radar screen!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:03 pm
by MikeCam
Fuggin' Bugs!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 pm
by DJ Downunder
What bugs...I was amazed when I got back from my Icicle ride last week that I had not one bug..not even a little mozzie..500kms..7hrs... :shock:

Don't bugs come out in cold weather?

DJ

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:20 am
by R4R&R
DJ Downunder wrote:Don't bugs come out in cold weather?
DJ
That's one thing I like about riding all year - no bugs for 6 months.

I have noticed that too

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:00 am
by CARTEEUSMC
Since moving here from South Carolina, I have noticed a few things about Ill that confuse me. Where are the twisties? Who in the hell thought that putting a layer of 6 inch rocks on top of asphault would keep the tar down, and whoever thought of this does not own a motorcycle. As for bugs and Decatur.... I can not drive around the lake at night for fear of a massive herd of bugs smacking right in the face.


Still looking for donations for new tires :D :D :D

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:09 am
by owldaddy
Last month it was dragonflys, they get stuck under the laminer lip, making for an unsightly mess. this month a yellow butterfly is migrating. Good thing I put a screen in front of the oil coolers. I'm sure locust must be coming soon..........
Don