Page 1 of 1

suspension set up and where to find great deals

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:53 am
by hayeswade
Two questions:
1. Can someone explain the differance in how the rid feels when you have everything set on hard, then again if everything is set on soft?

2. Where are some good websites to find great deals on used equipment?
I would love a set of peg lowers and a better seat.

Thanks,

Hayes

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:22 am
by pinecone
Good questions. May I add to the list?

When should shocks be replaced? Age? Miles? Is there a good test, like when you jump on a car bumper? I know a lot of it is subjective, but basically how long is the stock suspension designed to last?

suspension setup

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:28 pm
by jfbarron
I liked your question about suspension setups. Here's how mine gets done. A buddy of mine who races ridiculously fast GXR's showed me this. You can take your bike to a dealer every time for service and it still doesn't get done like this.

Have someone hold the bike upright on both wheels by the lightly holding the handlebars.

Then push down hard and fast on the top part of the gas tank near where you sit. This is close to the bike's centre of gravity.

Watch the way it comes back up. The front end and back end should come up together but usually don't. One is always slower than the other. This is no good!

On my 1150R I adjust the rear shock screw and then the spring to get the bike to rebound in sync.

Do this and the difference will astound you.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 pm
by ProductUser
I just sent my Ohlins to be rebuilt this morning. My stock shocks lasted ~20k miles; the Ohlins lasted about 28k miles before they needed to be rebuilt (they should've been rebuilt a little sooner, but I'm lazy).

Since the Ohlins are being rebuilt, I put the stock shocks back on so I can ride (too many nice days in Phoenix to pass up). The stock shocks are awful. I needed this reminder to tell me how much I loved aftermarket shocks.

ProductUser

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:41 pm
by Lion_Lady
Generally between 20K and 30K miles is when you ought to be looking at rebuilding/replacing shocks.

The BIG problem is that the degrading happens so very gradually that folks will be riding on 40K mile shocks that have NO life left in them, but the owner is clueless as to how bad things are because they ride daily and just haven't noticed the change.

I replaced my OEMs with Ohlins at 20,500 miles and it feels like a new bike. The advantage is that there is enough life left in the stock shocks that I can put them back on while the Ohlins are being rebuilt (something to think about).

As for setting up your shocks. Get ahold of a copy of Total Control, by Lee Parks. There is a whole chapter on suspension, including HOW to adjust your shocks correctly.

Pam

Thanks for all the input

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm
by hayeswade
Thanks to you both for the input, that was some great advice. Just for an FYI, my bike has 38K miles on it and I don't think the shocks have been replaced or rebuilt. Since I am the second owner, I think it will be a great idea to call the dealership that use to service the bike and just double check.
One last question though, any idea what would happen if you just didn't rebuild them?
Also, do you take your own shocks off or have the dealership do it for you?

Thanks,

Hayes

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:37 pm
by wncbmw
hayeswade - just in case you didn't know, if your shocks are stock BMW shocks, they can't be rebuilt. If you have 38K on stock ones, no tests should be required, you probably need new ones!

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 pm
by Lion_Lady
+1 on the no rebuilding the OEM shocks.

I have a friend who crashed in an unfamiliar turn because his bike scraped hard parts unexpectedly and he lost control - running wayyy wide into the brush. (He was riding an R1200CLC).

No injuries, but when we got the bike back on the road. We learned that his bike had nearly 39K miles on the original shocks. There was just too little life left in them to do their job.

Along with the damage repairs, he replaced the shocks and it felt like a new machine. He was stunned at how bad the bike ride/control had gotten and surmised that since he does not own a car, he just didn't realize the decline with the daily ride.

P

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:21 am
by fnfalman
When do you think that your shocks need replacement? I can't tell about other BMW models but the R1150R and the Rockster have pretty crappy suspension bits. I'd say that they're too soft for sportive riding by around 14,000-miles. I suppose you can milk it out even more but when I start to scrape pegs in easy corners, they gotta go. My Ohlins had just came in and I can't wait to get them fitted on my Rockster. I've worn through the original stock set and replaced them with another factory set that came from a 4000-miles crashed Rockster. They both started to go mush around 12000-miles and I can't stand it.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:13 am
by wncbmw
No suspension expert here but I can tell you a couple of things from experience. I went way too long on my R100RS on the stock shocks, until it was obvious my handling was mush. My wife gave me a set of new shocks for my birthday and magic! A brand new motorcycle! :D At least it felt like it!

On my 1150R, I was older and wiser and noticed the symptoms earlier. For me it was losing that wonderful secure feeling it used to have while leaned over in the turns. During hard cornering, a sudden bump would induce a 'wiggle' which felt like I was about to lose control.

A friend who does suspensions as a business got me into an Ohlin for the rear. Penske does not make a shock for the front. The 'wiggle' went away! I am still on the stock front but not for long.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:14 am
by R4R&R
I don't think there are any real 'deals' out there to be had - plan on spending over $1000 for a pair of aftermarket shocks, but they'll be worth it. You may find some boards getting together for a group buy, and they get a slight discount (I think about 10%). Like the other said, it's hard to tell when a shock is worn out until you replace it. I think chances are at 20,000 miles it's probably not performing at it's best, so you may want to start saving for new ones at that point.

As for buying used? It would have to be a really good deal, and I would plan on having it rebuilt before use to be on the safe side. The used shocks I've occasionally seen out there weren't 'can't pass it up' deals.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:02 pm
by Max Continuous
Interesting questions. Just to add if I may, once you have managed to purchase a new set of Ohlins, ( not cheap! ) how much does it usually cost to have them rebuilt?

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 pm
by NHighCotton
The http://www.advrider.com/ did a group buy right around XMas, also look for used ones there, and here, as well as EBay and IBMWR but plan to rebuild.

Better yet, Valentines Day is not quite over so, when your sweetheart asks did you get what you wanted you can say, well, actually.......... :wink:

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:27 pm
by mcollect
Iwas part of the group buy. It was eye opening the difference the Wilbers made, I had only 25,000m on the shocks. The bike behaves as good as my LM1, OK maybe even better. I think the stock shocks should be replaced as soon as you can afford to. Stock shocks are a comprimise between cost and what the avarage rider can detect. The Wilbers made a real difference.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:24 pm
by ProductUser
Max Continuous wrote:Interesting questions. Just to add if I may, once you have managed to purchase a new set of Ohlins, ( not cheap! ) how much does it usually cost to have them rebuilt?
I'm having my Ohlins rebuilt at this time. The cost will vary, of course. I'm going to end up paying ~$300.00 (parts and labor only) to have both shocks rebuilt.

ProductUser