Which tyres do you actively DISLIKE.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

You guys that think the Z6 don't handle, would do well to listen to CycleRob's suggestions. Check out your suspension!

Why? Because I have tried to keep his tail light in sight on twisty roads a few times and it is a difficult task, with those Z6s of his grinding those elephants off, all the way to the edge! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
telliott
Basic User

Post by telliott »

CycleRob wrote:telliott & KMACR,

Don't blame the Z-6 tires for difficult or reluctant turn-in.
Well, I keep my tires up to pressure and I like the rear suspension to "work" and not board stiff. Obviously you can have too little preload and have the rear end dropping down. I have it adjusted to my weight and it feels pretty good for a stock shock, definately not an Ohlins. You really should go to the GS paralever arm to jack the rear end. From all the suspension setting drills I've been taught, Pre-load should be used for weight and to set the correct suspension sag. And there will be different opinions on what the rear end should feel like. Even Pro riders differ in what works for them in suspension set up.

Back to tires, I changed to a PR, rear only, no other changes and it feels like a different bike. Turn in is better and no more squirrley rear end. I never said the Z6 didn't stick well in the corners, no issues there. And KMACR said the same, no issues except the unplanted feel on pavement irregularties or standing water. It just felt like the tread was moving, jumping, grabbing at the rough spots and following ridges. Really the first time I've had the rear end of a bike act that way and I've been riding a lot since I was 12. Can't remember all the bikes or tires I've gone thru, dirt, street and dual sport. I have had some fronts that wanted to follow ridges, grooves, etc. and that was also tire specific.

Before I changed the tire, I thought the squirrley feel was an R quirk and as I said I've talked to some other R riders at rallies that thought the same thing and at that point I didn't attribute it to the tire.

Maybe there are some funky Z6's around or maybe some of us are just more sensitive to what the tire is doing. I've only riden the one and I didn't like it.

:lol: Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. YOMV
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

Went outside to check the preload on the rear shock. I get 5 turns before any resistance.

Before I refill the preload aduster with oil, does anyone know the torque for the banjo bolt?

Thanks,
Bill
def38
Basic User

Which tires do I actively dislike?

Post by def38 »

Tires that are flat!
Dennis....quit worrying about your oil..go ride
brem
Lifer
Donating Member #: 621

Which tires do I actively dislike?

Post by brem »

My Rockster came with a Dunlop rear tire that took forever to warm up. I actually dropped it last fall partly by being an idiot but partly because the stupid thing took such a long time to warm up. I did put 3K miles on it with pretty minimal wear for that distance. I've since replaced the Dunlop and the front Metzeler with Pilot Powers that are brilliant- the bike has a much more neutral feel and turns in really gracefully now. In retrospect Pilot Roads would probably have been a better choice given that I ride pretty conservatively and the opportunities for serious cornering are rare in urban Chicago.