R1200R soon obsolete?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

combustor777
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1200R soon obsolete?

Post by combustor777 »

Looks like there will be lots of 1200's on sale at dealerships and more on the used market.

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
Oilhead
Basic User

Re: R1200R soon obsolete?

Post by Oilhead »

The cylinder head keeps getting uglier with each incarnation. :shock:

IMBO, the best looking cylinder head was the first generation one, the oilhead, single spark, non magnesium, aluminum cylinder head like the one on the top righ hand corner of this page. :biggrin:
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Hmmm....I'm a bit taken aback with the valve operation design as it apears that the cams have to come out to set the valve gap.....assuming I'm looking at it correctly.

Personally, I would have eliminated the followers (added complexity) and made it shim under bucket like the Japanese counterparts.....much easier to adjust.

Of course I'm not a BMW engineer.......
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Eagle6 »

Might be sooner than you think.

In the UK, BMW are starting their run-out models with the introduction of both a GS1200SE and an R1200RT LE (the only RT showing on the BMW website) with just about every option available bolted on.
According to a dealer I spoke to last year, he was expecting an announcement at last years Munich or Milan show about a twin overhead cam engine similar to the HP versions but without the exotic materials. The "next" RT was supposed to be the first model to become available with the new engine/capacity (1300cc ?).

So RT owners get to be the chosen BMW R & D guinea pigs for the rest of us :D should be all sorted by 2018 if recent models are anything to go by 8-[
2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The clearance adjustment looks like they'd just pop off the circlip and slide out the rocker arm shaft to change the captive shim at the valvestem end of the rocker. It'll be nearly as easy as threaded adjusters, except for the fact you'll either need a small selection of shims (currently @ $5.79ea) -or- a trip to your nearest dealer.

Noteworthy in the pic below is that the valve axises are radial. Notice the camlobe surfaces aren't parallel to the shaft axis . . . they're tilted to align with the radial valve axises.

http://www2.solomoto30.com/fotos/45/R12 ... lteral.jpg

The other BMW's with this similar cam over end pivoting rocker valvetrain have 12K adjustment intervals and usually do not need any shims changed for the next few 12K checks. This newer radial splayed design with side loads on the cams and rockerarms may not have those attributes.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Ritchard
Basic User

Post by Ritchard »

Love the Google translation:

" to dispute its mouthwatering cake portion of the market."
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

This has been discussed as the likely transition since the HP motors came out. It helps spread the R+D costs of these motors from a very small application to the numbers represented by all the R bikes. It's also likely that BMW (along with the other OEM's) need's updated designs as they will continue to struggle with "air/oil cooled" motors meeting emission and noise standards while still providing customers with acceptable performance. I'm looking forward to see what they offer up.

Cheers
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Bearing in mind the past model policy the R model was usually one of the last models of a new generation (the HP's are a totally different set). In Germany there have been speculations about a new generation appearing somewhen in late 2010 (speculation about a new R1250GS being the first to roll out). However BMW has denied such plans and said they will do some facelifting on the present generation and consider a new generation somewhen in 2012 ...

However this remains crystalball reading. I am pretty certain that works are being done on a new generation and I am also certain that new technology such as shown in the HP's will be implemented to some extent in a new generation. But when this will come only the oilhead-godfathers (technicians and designers) at the factory will know. And they will certainly not share this info with us in order not to hamper sales of the present generation.

Kind regards from Germany
Oliver