electrical problem

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

jon_1100
Basic User

electrical problem

Post by jon_1100 »

I've recently bought a 98 r1100r with 122,000 km on the clock. It runs well, but over 4000rpm the lights (indicator and headlamp) stop working. The battery seems to charge ok and the bike starts up quickly. I originally thought it was an indicator problem before I noticed the head lamp not working.
Could this be the regulator on the blink rather than the generator as the battery doesn't seem to go flat?
Thanks for any response.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: electrical problem

Post by CycleRob »

jon_1100,
Being a 16 year old bike with 75,800 miles there are a few things it could be.

1--Bad ground wire or ground connection interfaces. That would be fuzzy terminals and/or a broken wire. It may still look connected, but inside the plastic outer insulation the wire strands could be broken from minute bending movements many thousands of times. Check the battery negative to the frame connection surfaces, a lack of corrosion between the negative cable and the end terminal and clean and grease them before reassembly

2--Bad load relief relay or its internal terminals. Not sure if the `98 model R1100R has one, but on the R1150R it shuts off the headlight and indicators when the starter is running. The relay is working (lights on), but the greater vibration over 4,000 RPM would tax the internal contact surfaces electrical connections.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
jon_1100
Basic User

Re: electrical problem

Post by jon_1100 »

Thanks Bob,
I've tried swapping over the horn and relief relays, but to no effect. I guess they could both be shot as they'll be the same age. I'm going to try shorting the relay relay junction, and I'll check out the negative battery connections as well as you suggest.