Soon to be BMW R1100R owner

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Duc750
Basic User

Re: Soon to be BMW R1100R owner

Post by Duc750 »

What I woulkd say about the Remus is go for a stainless or titanium can, the finish is tougher and they sound a bit crisper on a twin, I have an aluminium can and the finish is good but not great if you ride in the wetter colder months (if you ride in a swedish winter snow chains may be a better investment!)
Any can that fits an 1100gs will also fit the r850r in fact for Remus they are the same part.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

LillMange wrote: Oliver! Can you describe the difference in feel, handling and body position between the original parted handle bars and the bar you have installed on your bike right now? [-X
//Magnus
Hi Magnus,

I already sold the bike few months back as it was time for a change. However the handlebars seen on the photos gave me a riding position slightly more towards the front of the bike. I felt more active and more in control - less wheelchair feeling if you know what I mean. I think this could be a better option for the tall with longer arms - rather than further raising the original handlebars. But at the end of the day it is all about trial and error. Because every seating position is a very personal thing.

Brgds
Oliver
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

I went for the LeoVince Evolution II (aluminium), I think it'll satisfy me for a while. And instead of ordering it from the Wunderlich dealer in Sweden for overprize I got it from a german site www.motorradparts24.de I hope the product will fit right on without problems, but you never know.. :D I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks a lot for that description Oliver. And I can assure you that I know what you mean when you describe that feeling, In a complete upright body position the body is affected upon the slightest acceleration or deceleration and you really need to hold on hard the handles (I really dislike the feeling of being driven by the bike rather than the bike being driven by me if you know what I mean)... I think I will invest in the 22 mm handlebar adapter and go for a handle bar more towards the "street bike" style so I get my upper body in a slightly forward tilted position even with straight arms. I've heard people complaining about pain when hanging on the handles for a long time, but it must be worth it if you are going for a better ride.. :o

Have a great eve all. :biggrin:

//Magnus
Duc750
Basic User

Post by Duc750 »

Other thing to think about is the seat, my seat is about 6cm higher than standard and completely changes the character of the bike as I sit on it rather than in it.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Yes but the charm of the R1100R is that you blend in with the bike and that you're not sitting on top ... After I bought my R1100R I tried the R1150R later and didn't like it because it gave you that sitting-on-top-feeling. Hence getting your seat modified is certainly a good idea for the tall. But best would be not to lose that being integrated feeling ...

Brgds
Oliver
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

Duc750 wrote:Other thing to think about is the seat, my seat is about 6cm higher than standard and completely changes the character of the bike as I sit on it rather than in it.
Duc750 would you mind showing a couple of photos of your bike maybe? (a google picasa account seems like the smoothest way) :?:
For every day that I drive my bike I get more and more used to the riding position, my seat is att it's highest position and I think I can accept that after all (works even when wearing tighter jeans under the all-weather pants actually :) )
omg1010 wrote:Yes but the charm of the R1100R is that you blend in with the bike and that you're not sitting on top ... After I bought my R1100R I tried the R1150R later and didn't like it because it gave you that sitting-on-top-feeling. Hence getting your seat modified is certainly a good idea for the tall. But best would be not to lose that being integrated feeling ...

Brgds
Oliver
Oliver i agree with you, that is one of the things that make the R110R charming! I'm now looking for appropriate handlebar adapters on e-bay and also a ahndlebar with suitable specs for my wishes of going toward a more forward tilted position. One other question Oliver, did you use a ordinary 22 mm handlebar, and if so is the the heated grips applicable in that case?

Have a great day!

:D

//Magnus
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

I am really happy to share with you all that the exhaust system is installed just this morning! So far I have only driven the bike up and down the street, and BOOM! The sound is awsome. Later today i'm taking the bike out for a real spin! :lol: 8)

Watch pics of the complete installation on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76608913@N ... 988005836/

Watch videos of the first start with and without silencer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6Lzc3 ... ature=mhee

I would have really wanted to see both pics and vids like this before deciding and purchasing the new can, I hope someone will find this fun, exiting and/or helpful :biggrin:

I bought the LeoVince Evolution 2 from http://www.motorradparts24.de for 286 + 14,99 Euro (price + shipping)

Have an awsome day all, I know I will! =D>

//Magnus
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

LillMange wrote:
omg1010 wrote:Yes but the charm of the R1100R is that you blend in with the bike and that you're not sitting on top ... After I bought my R1100R I tried the R1150R later and didn't like it because it gave you that sitting-on-top-feeling. Hence getting your seat modified is certainly a good idea for the tall. But best would be not to lose that being integrated feeling ...

Brgds
Oliver
Oliver i agree with you, that is one of the things that make the R110R charming! I'm now looking for appropriate handlebar adapters on e-bay and also a ahndlebar with suitable specs for my wishes of going toward a more forward tilted position. One other question Oliver, did you use a ordinary 22 mm handlebar, and if so is the the heated grips applicable in that case?

//Magnus
Hi Magnus,

no, with an ordinary handlebar the heated grips won't fit. There is only two aftermarket handlebars for the R1100R WITH heated grips. One comes from german company LSL and the other from german company Magura. A third option would be to take the handlebar of the R1150R or Rockster.

But in any case you would need fork-bridge adapters for the R1100R or an entire new fork-bridge (the bridge of the R1150/Rockster does not fit!).

On german ebay you find a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Superbike-Lenker ... 3cbcfb4a7a
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Superbike-Lenker ... 3f0ebb3bad

Brgds
Oliver
LillMange
Basic User

Continued

Post by LillMange »

Hey

I still have the ambition to change handlebar but i have now prioritized orter stuff. :D

1) shorter paralever link on the back swing for better handling/shorter wheelbase, and a tad higher rear end.
http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/B ... strut.html

2) i have come to realize that i need a top case for commuting and vacation touring with passenger.
http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/B ... nting.html

Just bought those two things, i plan to buy the givi top case second hand to save som money.

By the way, just put on a new front tire, Michelin Pilot Road 3, since i discovered some cracks after filling up the tire recently. The new tire is suppose to be really good!

Anyone have any good input on top case size? Big=good for vacation, medium/small=good for daily commuting. :-k

Really looking forward to feeling the handling efter installing the shorter paralever! [-o<

Regards
Magnus
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

BAM!! The new stuff is installed! :D

I will hopefully keep cool for a while now :)

Check out the pics from the installation and the end result: 8)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76608913@N ... 610610756/

Now I have to find a top box at a good price.. disappointingly that seems harder than I anticipated. It's easy to get hold of cheap Monolock cases but not the Monokey cases. The latter is rare on the swedish second hand market, most people want to sell a whole set of two side cases, one top case and a monokey rack for a specific bike... I bet they all regret that they didn't include those things when they sold their bikes, because the swedish second hand market is cooler than ice. #-o

Now to the new strut, I just drove up and down the street (had no gear or helmet so couldn't drive off longer) and I definitely felt the ride height difference but handling wise I need more turns to get a hold of that, so, the full review will be brought to you in a couple of days. :p

Have a great evening or day wherever you are, please feel free to comment or ask anything regarding this!

Regards
Magnus
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

Just following up! :P

Got my new Givi top box yesterday. Used it today to work and back, perfect for my commuting. My huge laptop fits in it so can't use that excuse not to bring home work anymore. Also my size XL Shoei helmet fits nicely in it and it still leaves enough room for some more stuff.

The box:
Givi Monokey E45
Volume: 45 liters

I purchased it from Italy, www.speedmania.it and it took about 8-9 days before i could pick it up at the post office. This is the cheapest model, it has no reflective tape on it and no luggage straps in it. But it suits my needs perfectly. Take a look at som pics of the box and the bike with the box installed on my Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76608913@N ... 819002890/

Well, good night all.

//Magnus
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

Just following up! :P

Got my new Givi top box yesterday. Used it today to work and back, perfect for my commuting. My huge laptop fits in it so can't use that excuse not to bring home work anymore. Also my size XL Shoei helmet fits nicely in it and it still leaves enough room for some more stuff.

The box:
Givi Monokey E45
Volume: 45 liters

I purchased it from Italy, www.speedmania.it and it took about 8-9 days before i could pick it up at the post office. This is the cheapest model, it has no reflective tape on it and no luggage straps in it. But it suits my needs perfectly. Take a look at som pics of the box and the bike with the box installed on my Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76608913@N ... 819002890/

Well, good night all.

//Magnus
LillMange
Basic User

The R1100R has been replaced by a R1200GS

Post by LillMange »

Therefore I'll have to leave you guys. I'll have to find another forum to join ;)

Thanks all you who joined my discussions and answered my questions, and god speed!

FYI, have a look at my new bike at Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/76608913@ ... 546402114/

Have an awesome summer. 8)

//Magnus from Sweden.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

Congratulations on picking the best "mutt" bike out there! I love my '96 R1100r precisely because it looks so different from all the other bikes on the road and does everything we'll... Not not necessarily great... But we'll.

You'll find out quickly that the R1100R is an orphan and frequently overlooked by aftermarket producers.

My first recommendation it to replace All brake lines with stainless steel braided such as HEL( mine) or Speiglers. Rubber is the the first thing to go, simply from age. I also traded my Conti Road Attacks for Conti Trail Attacks to get a little extra traction on fire roads and hard pack...interestingly enough the Trail Attacks way out perform the Road Attacks on dry pavement.

I also replaced the stock horn with a Stebel Nautilus that sounds like a Mac Truck... Wakes up the scatterbrained soccer moms when they cut me off.

I'd go naked all the way..first and best thing I did was discard the BMW windshield... Actually less wind noise now.

I took my stock pannier rails off for a cleaner look.

I was planning to replace the stock handle gars with clip-on or something similar but over time I realized that the stock set up is the most comfortable for me so will probably leave alone.

I just ordered a GPR Deeptone slip on exhaust from Italy and plan to eliminate the O2 sensor when I do the swap, I also purchased DEI 2"x50' titanium exhaust wrap to complete the look. I'll post pics in a few weeks. This mod shaves almost 30 pounds from the bike, and at the same time I'm going to remove the carbon canister as we'll.

Be sure to post more photos...and happy riding!

BTW...I missed your last post about trading to a 1200, I'll leave my post for other R1100R owners.
Eli the wine guy