Time Clock Not Vertical

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Time Clock Not Vertical

Post by gregor »

By that, I mean the 12 and 6 o'clock are not quite vertical with respect to the warning lights- no more than 2°. I took the screen off and unscrewed the chrome cap on the underside of the instrument panel. This then enabled me to pop the clock out. As a square male part engages in a square female part (no rudeness intended) there does not seem to be any scope for adjustment. As the clock assembly is otherwise pristine, I think I will just have to live with the slight tilt . It did not look too bad the next time I rode the bike.
Anyone had this quirk?
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
peels
Basic User

Re: Time Clock Not Vertical

Post by peels »

dont think so, Im gonna go check after work....pretty sure that would drive me BONKERS.

for instance:

My FZ-1 had been dropped while unloading from a truck, and bent a single bracket, the tiny fairing was crooked by like 1/4" Bothered me every time I rode it, and I went crazy trying to fix it LOL.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

peels wrote:dont think so, Im gonna go check after work....pretty sure that would drive me BONKERS.

for instance:

My FZ-1 had been dropped while unloading from a truck, and bent a single bracket, the tiny fairing was crooked by like 1/4" Bothered me every time I rode it, and I went crazy trying to fix it LOL.
Ditto on the "bonkers"
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

Mine is also of like that. I think it was straight until I took it out while I figured out how to adjust the time. I tried fixing it once didn't work.

Also, I have a Wunderlich thermometer covering the hole between the handlebar mounts. When I put my bar backs on,i can no longer see it well. Plus it's primarily in Celsius. Makes looking at the instrument cluster aggravating.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

my clock appears straight...

or, it could be my old man hunched back throwing off my equilibrium.... :) :lol:

do you have a photo of it, Gregor?
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Looks straighter now after replacing. Will have to concentrate more on my riding.
BTW my brain is now calibrated in degrees C. Today is 30C which is a heatwave for us and the garden.
R100CS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by R100CS »

My clock also had the problem, had it ajusted by the dealer and it was OK for a while.....
So it seems it wants to be at an angle.
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

gregor wrote:By that, I mean the 12 and 6 o'clock are not quite vertical with respect to the warning lights- no more than 2°. I took the screen off and unscrewed the chrome cap on the underside of the instrument panel. This then enabled me to pop the clock out. As a square male part engages in a square female part (no rudeness intended) there does not seem to be any scope for adjustment. As the clock assembly is otherwise pristine, I think I will just have to live with the slight tilt . It did not look too bad the next time I rode the bike.
Anyone had this quirk?
I had the same problem, popped it out like you described, but was able to adjust it just that little bit when putting it back into place. Problem fixed, or so I thought. Very slowly, in due course, it happened again. Mine turned clockwise on both instances. Hey, that's the same direction the whole bike tends to move when you rev the throttle. It's from the vibrations in the engine, or so I think! So I popped it out again and was able to again adjust it just that little bit counterclockwise and push it back in place again. Problem solved. :D
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I just try to lean in the appropriate direction to keep the clock upright. Maybe that's why I got a ticket for weaving??? :roll:
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

The new Metzeler Z8 has allowed more leaning a la Towerworker. 8)
That and the concentration on avoiding combine harvesters and tractors on the narrow winding wooded lanes, has cured my complaint. [-o<
Anduril
Basic User

Post by Anduril »

Also had this problem with clock. Clock has rubber gasket/ring around its top (you'll see, if you take the clock of out dash). I have put a bit of insulation tape round the rubber gasket and positioned the clock correctly. It has not moved since then.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Peels,
I think the clock needs to be rotated clockwise a meagre smidgin.
I admit it looks better after my recent dismantling. :oops:
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

It DOES look off just a bit! at first I was thinking because the tach is smaller, but I dont think so.

Ill check mine against your photo!

see this too:
Anduril wrote:Also had this problem with clock. Clock has rubber gasket/ring around its top (you'll see, if you take the clock of out dash). I have put a bit of insulation tape round the rubber gasket and positioned the clock correctly. It has not moved since then.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

If you project a line linking the 12 and 6 o'clock markers it hits the edge of the neutral light. So not too far out and I've got used to it now .
My clock can not be so easily rotated, as suggested above, as a square protrusion/lug on the rear of the clock mates with a square hole in the internal dash mounting. I did not want to damage anything by attempting to turn the lug.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I looked real closely...well...Mine aligns nicely with that imaginary line. weird.

I had it out when I was de-rattling it 2 yrs ago.. had a BAD buzz coming from the housing. I remember the notch. I honestly cant visualize how you could fix it...