musings on helmet intercoms and the BMW Nav V system

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

musings on helmet intercoms and the BMW Nav V system

Post by RedRyder »

The following is not a definitive review of helmet intercoms and the Nav V system available for the R. It is meant as information and maybe a beginning for someone to research the subject in greater detail.

The Nav V which works in consort with the handlebar hand grip pod (I call it the "wheel") has a wealth of info and features. It is a fine system and an excellent secure mount. However the following is what I have found out after visiting with 2 different BMW parts/accessories folks in 2 different states and researching the web.

1. The only way to access all the features including full use of the "wheel" is to purchase the BMW communication system AND a Schuberth helmet. (System 5, System 6, System 6 EVO, Sport helmet, AirFlow 2). BMW communication system is close to $500 for one rider and the price for a Schuberth.... stupid. :smt101
2. To keep the warranty the dealer sends the communicator and helmet to Schuberth for the install.
3. Yes, you will find folks who have posted that they installed the system themselves or even installed the device in another brand of helmet. However, the BMW intercom has to be purchased with a separate NiMH battery pack that gets installed in the helmet. If your helmet does not have a removable neck brace padding like the high end Arai, you will be faced with a challenge to be able to fit that battery pack and the communicator on (or into) your helmet. The parts guys were honest about how they have looked into it, but the idea of no warranty and giving out info that may make your helmet not fit right or be unsafe, makes them stop.

Here is what I decided to do;
1. Purchase the Scala rider Q1 teamset for $230.
2. Install in my Arai and the wife's modular HJC was OK. I took my time and tried several different approaches to affixing the speakers, hiding the wires and position the mics. Success after trial and error.
3. Pairing the primary communicator to the GPS and iPhone is covered in the manuals and the online FAQ's. Again, trial and error, step back, beer, then repeat, got the job done.
4. The intercoms are not bulky and thank god the antennas have been replaced with internal ones.
5. Speakers are cheesy, but my wife liked hers fine. I took apart an older Sennheiser headphone system for my speakers and it is soooooo much better sound.
6. This system works best for our situation as we really wanted a easy to use, clear sounding intercom. The music and phone are less important to us.
7. You still get the gps audio commands. I am beta testing at this time to see what features of the Nav V you don't get audio on.

I am not promoting the Q1. There are several good systems to choose from. Again, the intent here is to give you information about the BMW communication system, the Navigation V and the reliance on the use of the Schuberth.
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Re: musings on helmet intercoms and the BMW Nav V system

Post by Bill Stevenson »

This is extremely helpful information. Thanks for posting. I was not sure about this from get go. Now I know that it is not for me.
RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

Post by RedRyder »

Your choice, but I am sorry that my post was such a turn off for you about the Nav V system. Maybe I did not emphasize enough that It is really a fantastic GPS with extremely helpful and detailed features for a rider. You can use any motorcycle gloved finger on the screen to activate all features, including thick winter gloves. The ability to toggle between screens with the "wheel" on the handlebar is still fully functional without an intercom system. The intercom allows you to hear the audio directions and to use VOX (voice) to give the GPS instructions/commands. I doubt there are any modern (within the last two years) communication systems that don't connect via bluetooth with the Nav V and access most of its features.

My intent with the review was to inform purchasers that: 1. a few of the features of the wheel/gps are not accessible if you use some other system besides the BMW communication system and the Schuberth. 2. There are a large number of alternatives to the expensive BMW Communication System and a Schuberth.

The Nav V is rugged, waterproof, easily removed to store or use in an auto and has great support. The SmartLink App that Garmin gives you is cool to.

I'm being sincere when I say, "I'm glad I bought it with the bike."
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

I think your review will help others to decide to buy this system. Your write up is well done. My choice to not consider it has a lot to do with the restrictions you mention. For example, I do not care for Schuberth helmets at all. My riding style includes deliberately trying to get lost when time permits. GPS is sort of an on again off again thing for my use in consequence. The overall cost is high, much too high for me. All reasons for me to respectfully decline.