Dear Oprah, My Favorite Website was Mean to Me

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Dear Oprah, My Favorite Website was Mean to Me

Post by MikeCam »

I don't know what to do. First, I'll try to ignore it, act like an adult and let the issue fade into the meaningless thing it is. But then my pseudo-virtual friends all felt the need to publish whining and self-serving anti-censorship 'good-byes' whilst complaining that the rules had changed, the moderators were unfair and the forum was not a comfortable home any longer. Maybe I should publish a heartfelt, libertarian soft-rant that gets alot of attention and makes others share my angst and victim hood, all the while forcing the forum to react, retract, and point fingers of blame for an issue that few understand and most probably really don't care about. No, better, I will make false accusations, wild speculations, and repost my 'good-bye' thread numerous times until I am convinced everybody has agreed to my points. I never learned classy behavior in school and I never was taught proper character in public places, so it's not my fault anyway. I want this forum to be just what I want it to be. If it is, I'll post whatever I can get away with whenever I feel like it and hope the moderators learn to do things my way. Then I will feel better about myself. I don't know what to do.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Rootin55
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Rootin55 »

This is a wide brush I'm using here. It seems those with the strongest opinions are in possession of the thinnest skin.
"In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity"

Meister Eckhart
camfarm

Or Else...

Post by camfarm »

Or else just bored.
cricman
Lifer

Post by cricman »

I wasn't going to say anything during this nonsense, but the behavior of some the "grown men" on this forum has given me pause for thought and with Mike's post, reason to speak.

This is a BMW R1150R forum, with a section for non-specific material to be posted. If a person is inclined and interested in BMW R1150R subject matter, this IS the forum to visit. I find it hard to fathom the notion that because the moderators and forum owner make an attempt to keep this a BMW R1150R forum, some members get frustrated and angry when they are instructed to be mindful of what and where they make posts. I find it harder to understand why so many members want to leave because the moderators and owner have attempted to make this an organized source of information for BMW R1150R owners and potential owners.

I get the distinct impression that some members are leaving because the moderators and owner are attempting to keep the R1150R the "Star" of the forum, and not the members. The owner and moderators are accomplishing their mission. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the moderators and owner are on a mission to personally attack and single out members. I think they have done a good job communicating, on a private and individual basis, with members concerning policy, and only publicly responded when prompted or when general information needed to be disseminated.

Personally, I don't mind the images that have been posted, in and of them selves. Unfortunately, I have two hobbies that I want my young daughter to participate in when she is older; computing and motorcycling. I want to be able to log into this forum while she is leaning on me, curious and interested, and learn about my hobbies. I can do that without embarrassment, when I know exactly in what section to open threads. Its that simple. Organization is all the moderators and owner have asked for. If there are some that can't or won't make an honest attempt to comply, then it is beneficial to my selfish needs that those members leave, angry or not.

Mike, in response to your question "What to do?", I suggest sitting back and watching all the angry children try to snatch up their balls and run away from the playground crying because they couldn't have it their way. Unfortunately for them, they don't understand that they are leaving without their balls, because they belong to the school!

As for those voluntarily deleted posts, I would suggest to the moderators and owner to delete the threads and recover lost bandwidth to be used for the discussion of R1150R topics.
eric
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

MikeCam,

That title made me laugh out loud.

Cricman,

Thanks for that. It's good to hear from those that understand what's going on.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Cricman, you just made all the effort worth it. Thank you.
cricman wrote:I wasn't going to say anything during this nonsense, but the behavior of some the "grown men" on this forum has given me pause for thought and with Mike's post, reason to speak.

This is a BMW R1150R forum, with a section for non-specific material to be posted. If a person is inclined and interested in BMW R1150R subject matter, this IS the forum to visit. I find it hard to fathom the notion that because the moderators and forum owner make an attempt to keep this a BMW R1150R forum, some members get frustrated and angry when they are instructed to be mindful of what and where they make posts. I find it harder to understand why so many members want to leave because the moderators and owner have attempted to make this an organized source of information for BMW R1150R owners and potential owners.

I get the distinct impression that some members are leaving because the moderators and owner are attempting to keep the R1150R the "Star" of the forum, and not the members. The owner and moderators are accomplishing their mission. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the moderators and owner are on a mission to personally attack and single out members. I think they have done a good job communicating, on a private and individual basis, with members concerning policy, and only publicly responded when prompted or when general information needed to be disseminated.

Personally, I don't mind the images that have been posted, in and of them selves. Unfortunately, I have two hobbies that I want my young daughter to participate in when she is older; computing and motorcycling. I want to be able to log into this forum while she is leaning on me, curious and interested, and learn about my hobbies. I can do that without embarrassment, when I know exactly in what section to open threads. Its that simple. Organization is all the moderators and owner have asked for. If there are some that can't or won't make an honest attempt to comply, then it is beneficial to my selfish needs that those members leave, angry or not.

Mike, in response to your question "What to do?", I suggest sitting back and watching all the angry children try to snatch up their balls and run away from the playground crying because they couldn't have it their way. Unfortunately for them, they don't understand that they are leaving without their balls, because they belong to the school!

As for those voluntarily deleted posts, I would suggest to the moderators and owner to delete the threads and recover lost bandwidth to be used for the discussion of R1150R topics.
Member #1
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

To MikeCam or CamFarm or MikeFarm or CamFart or whatever, who seems driven to only peer down tunnels...
And to Waycock who often feels compelled to exert his "authoritative presence" but often speaks to some other issue altogether (see comments in "A kind goodbye" thread above)...

I bet you two would just be deliriously happy if this board was military so General Doug or Colonel Whatcock or whoever had the most stars or stripes at the moment could just ORDER all us poor Privates to get in line and goosestep off into mindless conformity.

Ain't gonna happen Boys.

Just so you don't think this is "anti-military" in any way...most of my male relatives, ancestors, friends and myself are ex-military and I hold the military and military people in the highest regard, "support the troops" too, all that.
I just believe that the "military way", while totally necessary in some places, becomes mindless, useless crap in others. Like motorcycle boards.

I will be disappointed and surprised if we are not treated to another of Mike's "you are a baby and need a good cry" type posts,
and another of Bill's "adjusting tire pressures in Alaska" comments.

Bye-Bye...
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I didn't really believe all that trap about creating mountains from mole-hills.

I'm converted!
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Xaldf, Dzslfh, Gasofheru and Rzokh, please report back to the saucer. Our work here is done.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

Guys rather than being flippant and condescending towards people who have raised some legitimate concerns, can you pause for a minute and consider that perhaps there is some merit in the positions being stated?

Do the math, folks who have contributed something like 30% of the content on this board have either left, taken a sabbatical, or have hinted at leaving. Does that not concern you? Do you not care that interesting, informative, and entertaining posts that have made this site what it is will go elsewhere?

As long as you close your minds and resort to childish demeaning of people with legitimate concerns, you will end up consigning this site to a backwater.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

But Gord - they have stated their feeling so many times! How much more do we have to endure? After a while it just starts to become rather humorous! We listened, we judged, and now we are just trying to get them to leave us alone! Most of us are just not interested in hearing any more - we listened, we decided and now it is becoming just rather childish - How many times do they have to threaten to leave, say good bye, say "this is my last posting" before they actually leave? The rest of us are just enjoying the spectacle - before you give us "this is my last posting message" have a great Christmas.

Beam me up Scotty - our work here is done!

Hey, by the way, Cam out ranked me - sorry Cam -
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

whaycoc wrote:But Gord - they have stated their feeling so many times! How much more do we have to endure?
Depends upon when you are going to acknowledge the fact that perhaps there is some merit in what is being said.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

for me if i dont like something i stop doing it i suggest that some of you do the same and quit your frikken crying..this is a motorcycle site not a crybaby site :evil:
ride it like you stole it
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

beekstersocal wrote:for me if i dont like something i stop doing it i suggest that some of you do the same and quit your frikken crying..this is a motorcycle site not a crybaby site :evil:
Well Beekster, that is spoken like a true sheep. Just go with the flow. Follow the herd. Don't look left or right and think that there might be some other perspective on things.

Why is it that when people who have invested a lot of time, energy and passion in something begin to question where it is going get accused of crying and complaining? You tell me what is wrong with with what the likes of Dallara, Darthrider, DJ, Frank and others have brought to this board over the years. Tell me that they have not brought valuable content. Tell me that they have not entertained us. Tell me that they have wasted YOUR time. They are gone now. They are not coming back. We are losing something here. But you continue to bleat like a sheep.
Gord

beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

i edited this post because im not going to get dragged into this all i know is i;ve been on this board for over a year and have received alot of valuable advice and do not see what all the B.S is
i definately dont really care what peoples opinions are on politics religion or sex i go to other sites for that :wink:

but i go on this one for motorcycle stuff that is what its intended for
ride it like you stole it
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

NoRRmad wrote:Xaldf, Dzslfh, Gasofheru and Rzokh, please report back to the saucer. Our work here is done.
:lol: HILARIOUS. LOL!
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

beekstersocal wrote:for me if i dont like something i stop doing it i suggest that some of you do the same and quit your frikken crying..this is a motorcycle site not a crybaby site :evil:
Well said - which is exactly why I'm not "leaving" (unless I become unable to post), until I get some sort of answer to my questions from Doug, as a forum Admin/Owner he at least should give a regular poster that much "respect". Or maybe he feels that as a non-paying member I'm not deserving of an answer to my questions - maybe that tells you something about him.

But for what it's worth I LIKE this site - which is why I hung around here a lot and which is why I don't like what's happening here, regardless of who is exactly to blame.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

riceburner wrote:
Well said - which is exactly why I'm not "leaving" (unless I become unable to post), until I get some sort of answer to my questions from Doug, as a forum Admin/Owner he at least should give a regular poster that much "respect". Or maybe he feels that as a non-paying member I'm not deserving of an answer to my questions - maybe that tells you something about him.
Uhm, what questions? If you have a question for just me, I suggest you send me an email or PM. Then I'm sure to see/read it.

BTW, If you were a member, you could use the member's section which I do read in its entirety, and then yes, you will get a reply because I will see it- I dont read every post on this board - I dont have the time for that. Do you expect me to?
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Doug wrote:
riceburner wrote:
Uhm, what questions? If you have a question for just me, I suggest you send me an email or PM. Then I'm sure to see/read it.

BTW, If you were a member, you could use the member's section which I do read in its entirety, and then yes, you will get a reply because I will see it- I dont read every post on this board - I dont have the time for that. Do you expect me to?

Actually yes. If I've replied to you in a post here, in R1150R or in Rockster or wherever, I do sort of expect you to see it - most people tend to see if their posts have generated a response.

Do you see me (and the other non-paying posters) as lesser members because we haven't paid out?

oh yeah - and the question I've asked at least twice is "Do you think that maybe it's time to sell out, move on, and let someone else manage the board, if you're receiving no joy from it anymore (something you've stated repeatedly)?"
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I'd like to comment on the difference between registered users and members.

Registering to post on this site is free. It puts a name with your posts. Members have paid money to support the site and are granted access to a couple of forums not open to "registered users".

Guests are those people that choose not to register (or forget to login before they post)

How can we NOT be more concerned with a paying members comments over a registered user. How can we NOT be more concerned with a registered users comments over a "guest"?

That's just the reality of the situation.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187