A Truly Great Ride Around Aus - Updated with a map on Pg 2

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

Thanks Mick. Keep posting more pictures when you get 'em. This is a great thread to read and experience vicariously.
Boxerboy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Boxerboy »

Magnificent. Thanks. :D
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

thanks mick. too cool.

that croc sign and your barebones campsite (no tent!) remind me of what a candy arse i really is....
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Slipstream
Basic User

Post by Slipstream »

Mick,
what windscreen do you have on your R?
God, Family, Country, BMW...in that order.
2003 R1150R in Piedmont Red
MIXR
Basic User

Screen

Post by MIXR »

Slipstream - It's a screen from 'Bikescreens.com', a New Zealand mob. I think they have changed trading name these days. It fits the stock fly screen mounts and has been on the bike for 55,000 kms or so.

I packed the top mounts out with a couple of poly tap washers to give it more angle, and fitted some thick rubber moulding to the headlight cut-out so that it 'rests' on the headlight when done up. Makes the whole thing quite rigid as the stock fly mounts are pretty flimsy otherwise.

The additional moulded 'wings' on the top edge and sides simply add some additional length and angle to the screen as far as airflow goes. Improved airflow dramatically. Some noise like most small screens, but no buffet as the air hits my helmet above the visor.

Mick.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
MIXR
Basic User

Trip map

Post by MIXR »

A bunch of people have asked for a map of this little trip, so here it is. Sorry if it's getting boring. Canberra is down on the lower right of the map. You can see where we did the short run over to the coast, then turned left. Piece of cake really!

Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Neat ride Mick. Easy directions to follow too. turn left and keep the ocean on your right. :D
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Jeff I believe you may have turned Mick around a bit. I think he went the other way. In Australia they always go clockwise around the country. ..izzat right Mick?

Let's see. If you rode down to the beach and then came back and turned left that would put the ocean on yer left, eh?

Just pokin' fun you guys. I have no idea how the route went without looking back at page one. But it was a great ride with super pictures!
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

looks like a great time. thank you very much for taking the time to show the rest of us.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
MIXR
Basic User

Jeff was right

Post by MIXR »

Spot on Jeff, and the reasons are interesting. I spoke with a number of people, some of whom had done similar trips in the past, and had read about the anti-clockwise ride in magazine articles years ago.

Two main things to consider.

Our weather generally comes from the west across to the east. It's also usually worse at the equator side than the south. Not physically worse, but lasts longer.

So............. If you go anti clockwise, you tend to ride through the storm fronts up north more quickly, otherwise you would be runing with the storms for much longer periods, and can get stuck in a storm for days rather than ride through it into clear weather in one day.

Also, the populated east coast (by our standards) is a bugger to ride. Slab freeways, lots of slow towns, and lots of traffic. best to get that out of the way, then enjoy the less stressful ride back home along the western and southern edges.

Makes sense, and worked for us. Something to consider for anyone contemplating a lap of the US, if such a ride is possible. Is it possible? Or do you just go cross country from east to west and so on?

Mick
Boxerboy
Basic User

Post by Boxerboy »

Don't forget the easterly (make that a westerly)tailwind coming back across the Nullabor either Mick. The headwind heading west can be hard work, day after day.
Last edited by Boxerboy on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
MIXR
Basic User

What wind?

Post by MIXR »

Too true, but on this trip (just like my last one from the West), it was still air and a chilly 2 degrees most of the morning and evening. Day temps were only around 12-14 degrees. We both froze our arses off! I've ridden in colder temps in the Snowys, but on the Nullarbor you just sit there ............. and sit there ............. and sit there!

When you can't move around on the bike and work it through the hills etc, your body simply cold soaks. It only takes a half degree drop in core body temperature for you to really feel the cold.

I've got good riding gear (but no heated vest), and I have never been so cold in all my years of riding. A heated vest is on the shopping list for next time.