My first Icicle Ride.

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

My first Icicle Ride.

Post by DJ Downunder »

Five years ago after buying my Roadster I joined the local BMW motorcycle club..I attend every monthly meeting..each year they talk about the Icicle ride.

It's an all night ride in the middle of Winter..and each year thought that it might be fun..and one day I'll do it.

Well this year I decided to do it..I was able to take a day off work and the weather forecast was looking good so I had no excuses..here's a link to the ride details.. http://www.bmwmccvic.org.au/index.php?o ... &Itemid=31

After finishing my Saturday shift I had just enough time to get home..get into my gear..and ride off to the midnight starting point.

Here I am...10.30pm...Winter jacket..winter gloves..leather pants and heaps of layers underneath..I felt like the Michelin man but I hate being cold.

The start was at a large petrol station on the outskirts of Melbourne..I parked next to another BMW.

Inside I had to line up to pay my entry fee..and concider a last minute snack.

One of the guys in front of me in the que had this hat with the last 10yrs pins on it...I thought..ooh..tonight I get my first one... \:D/

Once I paid my money I got this envelope...only to be opened if you get lost... :shock: ...the ride always has a secret destination.

I returned outside and ..OMG...there was bikes and people every where...now where did I park mine.

Offically they had 163 entries..but I'm sure a lot don't bother to enter..it seemed like hundreds of bikes.

Next was a meeting to explain the rules of the ride..and a few jokes about getting lost..they offered a direction sheet on how to get to the next stop.

Here I am just about to head off on my first Icicle ride..notice the time.

We headed off and it was a perfect Winters night..not too cold..dry (for now)..and a full moon lit things up nicely.

It was a great sight seeing a long snaking line of red bike tail lights winding up the winding road ahead..the road was a beautiful twisty country road.

Our first stop was about 1.45am...a small country town...and bikes parked up and down each side of the road..something a small flash couldn't capture.

Inside the local hall they were serving hot soup and bread to the riders.

Outside there were half a dozen fires and riders everywhere scoffing down the soup and warming themselves near the fires.

The soup was either tomato or beef and veg...I had the veg...it was nice and hot..I went back for seconds..and even thirds.. :D

After our soup stop it was time for another meeting to explain the next leg of the ride..and a few more jokes..and those hand out sheets with directions.

We headed off for more great winding roads...the next and last stop was at about 4.30am for fuel..and munchies..the wind had picked up a little and felt like it was coming straight off the Antartica..I put my helmet back on just to keep my head warm..I had not got cold up till now and suddenly I was freezing.

After another meeting it was off on our last leg..we were told the end and hot breakfast was at Frankstone Yacht Club..on the shore of Port Phillip bay.

Once on the road we started to get drizzle..and at speed felt like rain..it soon passed but I was starting to get cold..my brain was trying to turn off..and my eyes wanted to close...and the worst thing was my batteries died on my iPod..and I forgot my backup battry..oh no..no music...what torture...I was singing out loud in my helmet to keep myself awake..the odd slick wooden bridge also woke me up..but the last hour was not much fun...if I was in my car I would defiantly pulled over for a short nap because my eyes were giving up on me..anyway I made it to the finish.

7am..and just stating to get light...bikes parked everywhere at Frankstone Yacht club.

Once inside I got my first Icicle ride badge...and by the way I felt..my first and last.

I just wanted to get home..and into my nice warm bed..then I saw the food...scrambled eggs..mushrooms..bacon..tomato's...gotta get some of that.

Next find a table.

My nice little breakie..bacon 'n' eggs and juice...must have been an American cooking the bacon...kidding.. :D

Back outside it was just starting to get light..the wind off the bay was freezing..I sill had another hour to ride home...and my eyes were so sore.

9am I'm back home..did I have fun...I'm not sure...btw my eyes are red..and it's not just because of the flash.. :D

One last macro shot..I'm surprised how good this pic turned out for a quick snap... http://members.optusnet.com.au/~djp1/mypic2561.JPG

My eyes just wanted to close..so I jumped into bed and did just that.

DJ
Last edited by DJ Downunder on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Excellent job, once again, and thanks for the snacks!

Now I am hungry..

That last shot scared me...just a little.

I rode home from a rally once with heavy eyes. It's scary.
Glad you made it.

so who was showing off their electric suits?
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Hey DJ! You're always giving these out, so here's one back at you:

:smt023

Wow dude!!

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

So, how cold was it?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

You guys know how to do a different kind of ride! Great report!

I love all the relective gear flashing in the photos! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Boxerboy
Basic User

Post by Boxerboy »

rdsmith3 wrote:So, how cold was it?
It got down to 4-6 C. Not too bad for this time of year, but the breeze was a sou' wester and may have added substantially to the wind chill factor.
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Looks like it was an interesting ride DJ but I'm afraid not one for me. I'm a real weenie and like to feel my fingers and toes on the bike so I'm not much into riding when the temps dip.

Now if there was a summer full moon ride out to the Mundi Mundi Plains...that would be my kind of ride!
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

What a great idea for a ride out! Food looks good as well, it's almost time for my morning break here and I can almost smell that bacon...
Thanks for the pics DJ!
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

DJ, it looks very cold. But it also looks like great fun and what a neat idea for a ride.

That many people in a group ride though? Did ya'll break up into smaller groups or ride as one huge pack the whole time?
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

Hey, Icicle...aka...DJ.....Was it too cold for a Coke. :)
What no Scones and jam.
Great read and pics, thanks.
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Brr.rrr.rrr.rrr! DJ, thanks for such a unique ride report. You come up with the best.

Now don't you wish you had had one of those high Parabellum shields for that ride? :shock: