Maintenance Techniques

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Maintenance Techniques-What Suits You Best

Poll ended at Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:01 pm

DIY-All the Way; My Tools and Plenty of Beer
27%
DIY for Basics; Dealer Service for Hard Parts
49%
Dealer Services All the Way; Credit Card in My Toolkit
24%

Total votes: 37

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Maintenance Techniques

Post by MikeCam »

What do you do?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

DIY on bike

Post by wncbmw »

Hey, I cast the first vote. I am just starting to do-it-myself again, except for the ABS brake stuff that needs the computers! Use to do all of it myself on my old airhead that ran great for 16 years, so although I consider myself mechanically challenged, guess I can do it again.
soggybottom
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by soggybottom »

I do everything myself and don't even drink :D
Kevin50r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

My way or the highway...

Post by Kevin50r »

I have gradually weaned myself from dealership maintenence.

I like to hear what others have to say and see some of the ways people set up their bikes, then I do it my way. I generally do things sooner than called for by the manufacturer, but I will use the components, filters, sparkplugs, etc., that I want to use.

I arrange wiring and vacuum hoses etc., to suit me and future access to frequently adjusted components. I safety wire things I want to safety wire, for my own peace of mind, to hell with resale value. I use a torque wrench for just about every nut and bolt because I want too, not because it's called for.

I don't usually concern myself with how the bike looks but shoot for reliable and consistant funcionality. Thus my attachment to bedliner paint.

I experiment.

Nothing at all wrong with going to the dealer or having a real machanic look at your bike. Working on my bikes is a huge part of what I enjoy about motorcycling.

I don't drink but working on the Ducati has nearly driven me too on several occasions. The Beemer is cake so far.
Member #363

2005 DL-650
2013 XT-1200Z
Kevin

Post by Guest »

I had a duc onc, I know what you mean :lol:
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

I do my own and then some.....experimenting is my middle name.

BTW.....I also had a Duc, 900 Monster, didn't find her overbearing but working on them is tedious. The BMW's are a cake walk compared to the Ducs. My Bandit, a 98 Model still has the original Yuasa battery. :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX