Use side or center stand when filling gas tank?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Samiam
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Use side or center stand when filling gas tank?

Post by Samiam »

Is there a preferred method? Does it make a difference? I've been using the side stand until today when I filled up using the center stand. The bike seemed to take more than usual to fill up based on the miles I had gone.

I did a search of the archives but found no mention.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

I will go make popcorn for this one! It should be fun to watch.

I believe it is merely a matter of personal preference. The filler neck is a more troublesome one than many other bikes but it makes no difference to the pump or the tank how you lean the bike for filling.

Stand by for many hard felt preferences.

Oh, and ask later if one should fill up fully ATGATT or if one should remove helmet, gloves, glasses before filling.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Paul Mihalka
Basic User

Post by Paul Mihalka »

Always on the side stand. I'm too lazy to put the bike on the center stand and I don't think it makes a difference in volume, as the filler is in the center of the tank.
You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding!
NHighCotton
Basic User

Post by NHighCotton »

MikeCam wrote:
Oh, and ask later if one should fill up fully ATGATT or if one should remove helmet, gloves, glasses before filling.
:shock: Jeezze!!! Haven't you heard about those gas pumps exploding !!!!! For Gods sake, stay fully clothed with faceshield down....safety first!!!

I prefer the centerstand rather than side stand, I also prefer blondes before redheads.
2003 R1150R (SOLD 8/07)
(9/07) 05 FJR1300
1986 R80RT
1974 R90s antique (on the road again)
larry
Basic User

Post by larry »

ACSATT - Always Center Stand all the time!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I tend to use the center stand because I think that I'll get more in.. :D

Yes..I'm just kidding myself I know...there are heaps of bikes out there without center stands...so using the side stand should be fine.

I still think the center stand is more stable than the side stand..so it's less likely to get knocked over while going in to pay if it's on the center stand..IMO.

DJ
rock712
Lifer

Post by rock712 »

Usally center stand....But I like brunettes and redheads!!!
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays?
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

It will of course depend on whether you use cash or credit!
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
johnt650
Basic User

fueling

Post by johnt650 »

I started out on the centerstand because I could squeeze a little more in and then moved to the sidestand. My RT holds plenty anyway and it is a lot less trouble. Gas pump areas frequently have slippery spots too so the less handling the better.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Like Larry said:

ACSATT - Always Center Stand all the time!
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

I've tested this to death as a result of previous posts. For me, it makes very little difference. In fact, I've filled on the side stand then put the bike on the centrestand - Guess what? - Bugger all extra goes in! Ditto the other way around. It is however, slightly easier to get a 'full' tank from the centrestand.

What I did discover on my round Aus ride was that if you slow trickle the last litre or two in by placing the nozzle so it spins the fuel into the tank, you can get that extra 3/4 litre that makes up the 20 litres of usable fuel we are supposed to have. It works better spinning it in clockwise. Must be something to do with fuel filler shape (and not the bloody southern hemisphere!). Oh - It was 64 fill-ups in 21 days!

I've run out twice and both times the bike took 19.5 litres. I didn't 'spin' the last half litre or so, which explains why I missed out on my 20 litre limit.

You could also say 'who cares', but when you do the trips I do it's often a fine line between making the next stop on one tank or walking!

Have fun with this guys.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

It was 64 fill-ups in 21 days!
Wow!..64 fills @ 20 bucks a pop...that's a lot of fuel money.. :shock:

DJ
erock1150
Lifer

Post by erock1150 »

With the handy pay at the pump I don't even get off the bike. So put me down as no stand.

erock
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

My 2003 Rider's Manual says "Place motorcycle on center stand" on page 24 under refueling. However it also shows the low fuel warning light on the left side of the instrument panel on the next page, which is backwards, so who do you trust? :?
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

Fill either way, but park it on the centre stand when left anywhere for a period of time, otherwise fuel may leak out the over flow tube.
2002 R1150R.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I agree with John -- side stand. It is usually slippery (and sometimes uneven) around gas pumps especially at older stations. The less maneuvering the better because there is less chance of dropping the bike.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Fozzie
Basic User

Post by Fozzie »

For the ROCKSTER, you MUST use the centrestand.

For the ROADSTER, you MUST use the sidestand.

Remember, the BMW factory is watching. There will be consequences for non-compliance.

OK, OK, I'm joking ...
Argue your limitations and they are.
'05 Rockster
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

erock1150 wrote:With the handy pay at the pump I don't even get off the bike. So put me down as no stand.

erock
Same here, with pay at the pump, no need even to get off the bike. However I do centerstand it when if I have to walk inside to pay or get snacks.
Samiam
Basic User

Post by Samiam »

Good Lord! Ruddy and Fozzy are right; the manual says it should be on the centerstand. I feel so dirty, now. I wonder what else I've done wrong.

But, why do they specify that?
Billerbeck
Basic User

Post by Billerbeck »

Is it possible to remove the filler neck on the R1150R that projects down into the tank so as to get a little more fuel into the top 'hump' of the tank? That was a standard on the early K-bikes and it worked.