Aftermarket Spiegler Brake Lines Question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

budH
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Aftermarket Spiegler Brake Lines Question

Post by budH »

I recently purchased a boxed set of Spiegler stainless steel braided brake lines from Kneedraggers.

The $50 rear was, of course, one piece and simply went from the rear master cylinder to the rear caliper. Simple.

The $150 front set, one long line and two real short ones, did not include the line from the front master cylinder to the distribution valve near the inner portion of the right side of the fuel tank (below the triple clamp). Kneedraggers.com lists it as Spiegler Front Brake Line Kit - W/o ABS - BMW R1150R - Fits Year(s): 02-05 - Clear

Any suggestions for a part number and / where to order such a Spiegler part? Kneedraggers.com doesn't list it - guess I could telephone them but you guys are the experts on Roadster stuff. :D
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

Bud,

I just put the Spiegler lines on my 02. They sent you the 3 piece kit for the front. I belive the part number is S-BM0134. This kit bypasses the 'valve' that is on the frame of the bike and replaces it with just one line. The line should go directly from the master cylinder on the handlebars to the front forks. There should be a new block that bolts on to the fork that the line from the master, crossover tube, and right side caliper line (short one supplied) all go into. The other short line obviously goes on the left side. This is a much cleaner look on the bike, and I personaly noticed a much more firm lever from these lines. I can take a picture of my bike if you have any questions on how I routed them or what I'm talking about. Make sure you have plenty of rags handy when you start undoing the old lines to keep the brake fluid spillage to a minimum. :)
budH
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by budH »

Doh! I guess that explains a lot - such as why the brake line is so much longer than the one it replaces! I never thought of that. In my defense, there were no instructions in the kit (none that I saw anyway). I can't wait to go out to the garage and disconnect the 'valve' tomorrow and then hook it up properly! Many thanks! See, I knew this was the place to ask!
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing when I went to put mine on. I has to ask some questions first as I figured it was a direct replacement. That's what we get for being human!