Big 5- OH

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Alannc
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Big 5- OH

Post by Alannc »

Group,
Well my beautiful black 02, R1150R turned over 50,000 miles today. What wonderful miles these have been. It is the first time I have ridden (one bike)over 50k. This bike has been the best bike I have owned in my life.

I have promised her plugs, valve adjustment, sync, alt belt, air cleaner, and fuel filter as a reward, now if she will just give me another 50k we’ll both be happy. Sure hope you all are enjoying your R’s as much as I have.

Alan
Alan
02 Black R1150R
51 BSA D1
55 BSA D3
67 BSA A65L
76 Triumph TR6
78 Triumph T140E
Eqyn Dad
Basic User

Post by Eqyn Dad »

Congratulations! I'm talking to your R here.

Any significant mechanical issues or developments after 50K?
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Alan, Congradulations to you both, Anyone know (or have an idea) of how many miles a person might expect? I have heard stories of some of the "airheads" getting very high mileage with just regular maintainance. Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
FM696969
Basic User

Post by FM696969 »

i have a 1979 airhead with over 250k miles, no major issues, only regular maintenance that i can do myself, my old airhead was built to last, my r1150 is a 100k mile motorcycle tops, after that get rid of it,it will cost you too much money to maintain it.

i also own a 1967 corvette thay i can fix with basic tools, my 2006 corvette is only good for 100k then it is too expensive to maintain

they do not make anything like they use to, not even the new bmw's!!!
Xray28
Basic User

Old Advertisement

Post by Xray28 »

A zillion years ago there was an ad in the Scientific American. Two page spread as I recall. To your left there's a group of maybe 20 or so folks standing in a bunch. Next to them is a group of maybe 6, then a group of 3 and finally a single older guy standingin a set of neat but well worn leathers. The verbage at the bottom of the page explained that they were members of mileage clubs. 250k, 500k, 750k, and 1million respectively. The add pointed out that they were all BMW riders.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Alan,

I hope you enjoy your next 50,000 miles. I hope to meet you one of these days over at your end of the state.

mac
FM696969
Basic User

Post by FM696969 »

I'm wondering who has the highest mileage BMW r1150 ?

Who has more than 50K MILES

ANYBODY WITH 60K, 70K?

Any major issues... NOT TIRES WEARING OUT AT 8K MILES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, I'M TALKING 'MAJOR ISSUES'
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Pat's Bike

Post by MikeCam »

FM,

Pat had upwards of 80K miles when he sold his. Don't recall any issues.

I agree that modern mechanicals aren't maintainable like the older, classic stuff. Sounds like you appreciate the 'vettes. Good fortune.

M
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
FM696969
Basic User

Post by FM696969 »

He's smart to get rid of the r1150 at 80k miles.

After that many miles the BMW dealer will love to see you come around often for repairs $$$
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

whaycock had 85k on his Roadster.
Pat was over 60k.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

High Mileage Ad, anyone have a copy?

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Xray28 wrote:A zillion years ago there was an ad in the Scientific American. Two page spread as I recall. To your left there's a group of maybe 20 or so folks standing in a bunch. Next to them is a group of maybe 6, then a group of 3 and finally a single older guy standingin a set of neat but well worn leathers. The verbage at the bottom of the page explained that they were members of mileage clubs. 250k, 500k, 750k, and 1million respectively. The add pointed out that they were all BMW riders.
When I was riding my less than reliable '72 650 Yamaha I saw a similar ad in Rider Magazine, something like 2" square pictures w/ bike & owner w/ 100K+ mileage figure under each picture. A while later I saw a Boxer for the first time (burnt orange color), went by me w/ seemingly no effort & completely smooth acceleration. At that point I thougt, 'Someday...'
Someday has come & I am absolutely delighted. Would love to have a copy of that ad to put on my office wall.

DLS
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Who has more than 50K MILES
I now have 64k on my '02... last month, just after turning over 60k, I left for a 2800 mile ride and didn't think twice about it. Like so many others on this board, I've never had any major problems of any kind, although mine didn't stop "using oil" until it had over 50k on it.
What wonderful miles these have been. It is the first time I have ridden (one bike)over 50k. This bike has been the best bike I have owned in my life.
Alan, I share your sentiments exactly! And likewise, this is the first bike I've ever ridden over 50k. I have a 1200R due to arrive sometime around Thanksgiving, and sometimes I ask myself- why?
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

AlanNc,

I have ONLY 24,000 miles on my 04. I hope to go 100K +. Congrates on the milestone! Many happy miles to come!!! :lol:
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I'm creeping up on 45k miles and no major problems. I hope I don't encounter them either. I had 50k miles on my old chain drive suzuki when it was traded in on my R1150R. I never had any problems with the Suzuki and I hoped I wouldn't have any with this bike (knock on wood). I'm nowhere near getting rid of this bike at this time either. I just put new shocks on it this weekend, and need time to 'use' them up. :wink:
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Congrats...here ya go..I whipped up a cake for you to celerbrate..sorry if I got the name wrong.. :D

Mines also a 50'er..but make that k's.

DJ

budH
Basic User

Post by budH »

I saw an '03 R1150R at the Rally that had 135,000 miles on the odometer! I've got a photo of the machine here somewhere. Alas, it doesn't show the odometer...
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
Kazushi
Basic User

Post by Kazushi »

I was at the dealer the other day and an old RS pulled over, the rider in leather seemed to take his time in setting the side stand, more than usual, so I was looking at him, finally he took his helmet off and the man was 70+ more like 80 year young !! His RS was at least 30 years old!! I didn’t get too close to the bike to see the exact mileage but it was definitely 6 digits !

I hope when I'm his age I'm still able to ride my airhead !!!

budH wrote:I saw an '03 R1150R at the Rally that had 135,000 miles on the odometer! I've got a photo of the machine here somewhere. Alas, it doesn't show the odometer...
BMW Riders Club of Greece
http://www.bmwriders.gr
KMACR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by KMACR »

DJ Downunder wrote:Congrats...here ya go..I whipped up a cake for you to celerbrate..sorry if I got the name wrong.. :D

Mines also a 50'er..but make that k's.

DJ

DJ,
You never cease to crack me up. I've been out of the forum loop here a few weeks. How's the bike?

Also, to try to stay on topic, I've always heard in my riders' circle that BMW's are 100,000+ to 250,000+ machines with proper care. Is the distinction or qualifier that after the 100,000 mark it's simply too costly to practically maintain other than for collector purposes? I had hoped to be able to be riding my R well past that mark, albeit, alternating with a second bike in the future. Kaput at 100K? Telll me it ain't so.... :(
KMACR
2004 Titan Silver R1150R Non-ABS
"Rubber side down is always a great idea..."
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Due to two other bikes in the stable, my R probably won't see 50k miles for another couple riding seasons. But it definitely is one for the long haul. BMW motorcycles, like their and Mercedes automobiles, have great mechanicals but not electronics. What I suspect will happen when mine closes in on 100k miles someday is that I will pay a mechanic to strip it of its electrical system and put a new one on. Probably not exactly cheap, but I've been to so many places on my Roadster that the sentimental value will make it worth while for me.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"