Need some heat shield advice with soft luggage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

hotzuk
Donating Member #: 0

Need some heat shield advice with soft luggage

Post by hotzuk »

Hey gang,

I am running some Cortech soft luggage on my beloved R1150R. My left side bag if pretty close to my exhaust. It is horizontal to the exhaust. I would say about three inches from the exhaust. The case is in no danger of melting but I did notice that it picks up some heat from the exhaust. Some of the contents within my luggage (rain jacket) were a little warm. I would like to add some sort of shielding to the bag. I was thinking some sort or wrap that I could place around the bottom of the bag. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

This sounds overly simple but works amazingly well----take a sheet of the heavy duty aluminum foil, two or three paper towels on top of that, then another sheet of the foil. Fold the edges over to hold it all together to make an insulating blanket. Make whatever size you need and since it's aluminum foil you can form it to whatever contours you need to fit your bags.

Keeps stuff cold too!

Wayne
03 R
hotzuk

Great advice; keep it coming

Post by hotzuk »

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of something to go on the outside of the luggage. That sounds like an inside thing. I was also thinking more outside in the event that something might shift and the case accidentally touches the exhaust. Highly unlikely but you always want to be prepared.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I misunderstood--my apologies.

You might check with local auto parts stores for insulating materials used around exhaust systems, also there are some of the same that are used under carpets in cars and trucks specifically in the transmission tunnel area.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
budH
Basic User

Hi Temp Gasket Material to Protect Soft Bags

Post by budH »

Prior to purchasing my used system cases, I had a nice pair of Chase Harper soft bags. I epoxied a rectangular sheet of high temperature gasket material to the exterior portion of the left bag and it worked great. The bag sat very close to the muffler but never caused a problem. I went to a local gasket factory and they gave me a nice piece of this stuff for free. I used some two part epoxy to attach it to the exterior of the bag.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
hotzuk

Great advice Bud

Post by hotzuk »

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have no gasket factory that I know of near me but now I know what I am looking for thanks to the site.