Returned from Torrey 1st report

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Returned from Torrey 1st report

Post by Deans BMW »

BMWDave52 (Dave Waterman) and I just returned from Torrey at 4 PM today, 500 miles in 7 hours with lots of stops to take pics.

Should I use the the term FANTASTIC, lets see, fantastic would apply to being the first to hold your new born baby, or fantastic would be seeing the first atomic bomb explode or fantastic would be seeing Neil Armstrong take his first step on the moon.

Using fantastic to describe roads, scenry, lack of traffic and the total sensory overload of the Torrey area would be like saying oral sex is er ah just OK.

More later, but today as we rounded a corner, the view was so powerful that I literally started crying.

More later, also lots of pics.
Dean-O
Member #33
1MPH
Lifer

Torrey

Post by 1MPH »

Got back to Phoenix at 5 o'clock this afternoon. Played leap frog with
Beekstersocal,BMWKidd and RChop. After Beekstersocal treated me to breakfast. (thanks). Even played tag with HiOSilver, didn't know it was
him till we met at Cameron. I had a great weekend with a great bunch
of guys. Thanks Dean and who ever else Helped with it. Really, really
looking forwards to the next get together. Hope everybody had a safe trip
Home.
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
BMWkidd
Lifer

Post by BMWkidd »

Got home at 20:25 California time. 14-1/2 grueling hours and 675 miles. My butt hurts big time.
The first part was great. rchop, beekstersocal and I took route 12 North to route 24 West and Hwy 89 South to Panguitch.
Bumped into 1MPH at the restaurant. 1MPH left like 20 minutes later than us and he was ordering food when we charged in.
He is 100MPH not 1MPH. :P

We went separate ways. I took 143 West to Cedar City.
Got up to 10,000 feet. It was gorgeous.
Couldn't get on 148 South. Had to stay on 143 West which swings North after the peak.
You'll be in Arizona after Virgin River Gorge.

And then the fun began after Las Vegas. It was like the whole frigging I-15 was jammed.
Split lane to Barstow and on and on. Todays is a typical Sunday afternoon.
All the losers are going home around the same time. accidents, overheated cars.
A Ram pickup blew its left front tire about 20 feet from me on the right. tire cap shattered.
A big chunk of it almost hit me and then the rim came off after I passed it.
The left axle hit the pavement. I could see sparks flying from my right rearview mirror.
This heat plus the sun in my face. man, it was brutal.

The Bash is a hugh success. Good to see you all and thank you Dean. \:D/
I'm ready for the next one.
Lifer #276.
socalrob
Lifer

West Coast Bash

Post by socalrob »

The bash was indeed fantastic. Utah is a great biking state, the scenery has to be about the best in the West. & talk about high speed roads.

Got back to LA at 4:30pm LA time. 677 miles in 11 hours for an average speed of 62mph. Took the short way home, more or less, left Torrey at 6:30 am Torrey time, found Britnheaven (Bob) about 10 miles out of town, & he & I rode to Ceder City & a great breakfast at IHOP. Bob took off west into the desert on his GS, hopefully to be seen agoin.

I Blasted down the I-15 & beat most of the Vegas traffic, only had to split lanes for about 10 miles. It was actually kind of fun to ride a long stretch on the interstate, as I have not really done that before. After having Dean show me what its like to ride over 100mph for hours, 90mph on I-15 was just loping along. Greatful Dead on the IPOD helped, & I even decided the sports screen is just right for me. Left 15 at Barstow, took Historic 66 to Sierra Highway, & over Angeles Crest (& cool breezes again) to home.

The Sargent seat is worth every penny for me.

When Bob & I started the temps were 28F, in the desert south of Vegas 100F. What a swing.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Talking with the Chuckwagon on Sat afternoon, to make my reservations for the next year West coast bash, found out that the guys including mine had a total of 6 reservations already.

So make your reservations for the weekend of May 12 Fri, 13,Sat, and 14 Sun for 2006

6 Reservations for next year already, off to a good start, not bad.
Dean-O
Member #33
sillyjax
Basic User

IronButt Champ

Post by sillyjax »

Thought I should give Mark a hand and update you all....

:shock: ....1030 miles in less than 24 hours! Mark made it in at 4:15a.m.....just thought you oil heads would like a good end to a great story.... :wink:

Hey...what about the bird pictures??? I hear the classic boxer is quite the huntress...I love a good story with visuals if any of you captured a glimpse of the resultant featherage on film!
Jacquie
R1150r in Oregon
vintagecycle
Basic User

Trip home

Post by vintagecycle »

Well, I set a personal record for most miles traveled in one 24 hour period. 722 miles! (I think I'm ready for an Iron Butt!)
I left Torrey at around 7:30am and pulled into my driveway at around 9pm. The trip was going smoothly until I hit the nastiest storm coming over Donner Pass, cold temps and rain/freezing rain. I could not see SH_T!!, faceshield was useless, I was doing like 35 mph with my flashers on, bike was squirming on the torn up pavement of I-80, very scary stuff! :shock: :shock: ! I was stopping at every stop to get warm, and to get off the road and gather my nerves. The weather finally let up around Auburn, CA.
On a good note, I was able to average hyper speeds through Utah and Nevada. I captured 3 Elk on film leaving Torrey, There were 6 total, 3 made it across the road in front of me, and the other 3 played "should we or shouldn't we?" I stopped since I DID NOT want to get splatted by a horse with antlers!
I'll post some pics when I get my expensive, yet disposable, camera developed.
It was nice to meet everybody, hope to do it again soon.
I finally caught up with the British madman too!
I'm looking forward to seeing the group picture so I can try to put screen names with faces again.
:D
P.S. I think I want a 1200GS.
Last edited by vintagecycle on Mon May 16, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike UK
Lifer

Post by Mike UK »

To all who did the bash....

I take my hat of to you. You have done some serious mileage. My bum (ok butt in your language) would have had a screaming fit, packed it's bags and moved out.

If I had done that sort of distance , I would have run out of "country" and fallen into the North Atlantic Ocean somewhere near Cape Wrath in Scotland.

Keep up the good ride reports with plenty of pictures. Where are teh bird pictures???

Bob,

heading west into the sunset? Don't get lost and give us a report from the dirty side.

Mike UK
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Can't wait for Torrey 2006!

Post by sweatmark »

Dean,

Thanks for making this past weekend possible. What a beautiful place to ride! Traveling the western USA is a blessing.

Count us in for next year's gathering, hopefully with the Mrs. riding her new Classic Roadster and me on the faithful R1150R.

I've posted an Iron Butt thread in the main section to describe yesterday's trip home to Oregon and spark some conversation about long-distance riding. Oh, and please note that no animals were harmed during the making of my Saddlesore 1000... insect damage was appreciable, however.

Great to meet you all in Torrey!

Mark
Oregon
dkwracer

Torrey, Torrey, Torrey!!!

Post by dkwracer »

Or Tora, Tora, Tora!!! What a great ride and Utah is breath-taking. Nice to meet so of the gang....LT1 and LT2 made in back to Denver Monday 2 pm, still woosey but this one was worth it....Thanks!!!!
Tom Brosius
(Black w/ Wings)
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

Just got home.....

2,768 miles - WOW!!!!

My thanks to the infamous Dean-O for organizing the Bash. It was the best m/c trip I have been on - period! Highway 12 in Utah must be one of the greatest motorcycling roads on the globe - truly breathtaking!

To everyone I met at the Chuckwagon it was truly a pleasure riding/drinking/ 'bs'ing with you all. Your a great bunch!

My ride home after leaving SocalRob was quite the adventure! I rode to Rachel and across Area 51 - it really is spooky and the huge open space is awesome.... Well I got to Warm Springs - and 2 Harley riders - Chris and Jeff along with pillion 'ladies' are stopped and checking the map. I stop - and guess what? - they are out of gaz and figure the next gas is 50 or so miles. Sooooo - I did my good deed for the day! Syphoned about a gallon from my GSA 'Mothership' into each Hogg. This is good karma as everyone discovered I ran out of fuel in almost exactly the same spot on my way out to Utah - which is pretty embarressing as the Beemer has an 8 gallon tank.The BMW GSA - truly the swiss army knife of motorcycles! Chris and Jeff have promised to post on our site btw.

Lastly I rode over the Sierra's today - Hawthorn NV to South Lake Tahoe to Sacremento to Home. I knew it was going to be interesting when the 'snow chain' flashers were blinking at me at Tahoe.... Well I got snowed on -but luckily it was only settling at the top of the pass (7,500 feet) - so I made it safely (and slowly home).

What a fantastic trip!!!!!!!!!!
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Glad, that it appears that every one made it home AOK. As near as I could tell, appx 25 riders attended the Torrey Gathering. Already 8 people have made reservations at the Chuckwagon for the next year Gathering, May 12,13,14, 06. A fablous bunch of guys, but how in the hell can you run out of gas WITH AN 8 GALLON TANK???????? :roll:
Dean-O
Member #33
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

rahdy and i basicly hauled ass the whole way home , but we took the senic way thru az.and still stopped to take it in, super windy around the border [ca az] rchop and i basicly rode 100 miles or so being blown around and riding at a 221/2 degree angle but other than that it was great and i mean everything the trip up and back the meeting in torrey everything , oh ya i was following rchop at a bout 85 mph and a huge bird smacks randy on the helment and flies right at me [ it even seemed to be in slow motion] and smacked me in the arm :shock: hey bmw kid glad you made it home safe aswell as everyone else, blown tires can be pretty dangerous . ill be talking to everyone soon
ride it like you stole it
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Did someone say Torrey???

Watching this vid made me feel I was right there with you guys...very nice... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: =P~

DJ

http://www.farson.com/video/slcd4a.wmv
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer

Post by Britnheaven »

DJ,

You is da man! - thanks for sharing that vid.

Many of us wished you were there DJ - along with our Lord Pat and other esteemed Board members. Next year????? (you can stay over at ours DJ and then ride up).

The route around highway 12 and 89 was simply spectacular - huge 'stalegmite' rock formations sprouting out of the red sand - I have never seen anything quite like it to be honest.

Randy Smith (rchop) had a digi camera mounted on the gas tank of his K-GT and took some amazing quality video - the board eagerly awaits.....

Britnheaven
Triple Lifer

Bike happytime....

Post by Britnheaven »

Well OK some pictures of my trip...

Monitor pass on the way up over the Sierra's.

You gotta love Nevada - taken in the middle of a 100mph run..

Beemer breeding colony in Utah - thats Dean-O on the left btw.

Beautiful Utah! It was my pleasure to ride with Acacia and Rootin Tootin for the Route 12 and 89 loop on Saturday. It was great riding with 2 guys who rode confidently and safely in a group. My thanks to Acacia for leading the ride on the day.

One true Texan in the very best way - guess who? (I'll give you a clue - he's an oil engineer - ex Beakster rider - well known on this Board).

Area 51 Nevada on the way home - an amazing and spooky place....

A neat place to stop (and the only place for 80 miles)...

One happy (mad) Brit!

Until next year...

vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

Excellent pictures!
Cheers Bob!
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

You can see in The Mad Brits posts of some of the roads in Nevada that tires can go a way fast.

The headquarters cabin upon arrival at noon Thursday complete with Bash poster.

BMWdave52's idea of a joke, fake oil blob, my heart stopped.

Gravel road, 1200 ft drop, 10% grade, and no gard rail.

Monument Valley, look to see the ghost of John Wayne.

Almost too much to comprehend.

You really realize just how small we are.

The ST is made for this country.

There is really no way to discribe southern Utah.
Dean-O
Member #33
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Just a note to say thanks to everybody that went to Torrey :D
I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everybody. The weather couldn't have been better and we must have had a gaurdian angel watching out for us. 80 to 100 mph all the way home and no tickets!! (a little faster every now and then :wink: ) I shot about 3 hours of great video from the bike. It will probably take a couple of months to edit and put a shorter DVD together considering my schedule but, I just finished reviewing it all and I think it will be worthwhile.

Thanks again,
Randy
dkwracer

Followup to Torrey

Post by dkwracer »

Hello again from Denver! Say , while we were at camp (hotel) one of our riders talked to me about my Sargent seat (FS) I left him my email addy but in case you lost it and happen upon this reply, it is boxed n ready to ship...
Tom Brosius
[email protected]
Adios for now.....