Need A Bit Of Help - Speedo Not Working After Re-Installing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

alkaloid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Need A Bit Of Help - Speedo Not Working After Re-Installing

Post by alkaloid »

My question is - How does the plastic speedo gear(two notches) match up with the two notches on the metal ring in the hub? I've obviously got it wrong. Now, I do for sure have the speedo housing recess lined up with the notch in the fork correctly upon installing the front axle so that's not it. FYI, this is on a GS but I would assume it's the same. Thanks. -Mike
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

The metal part turns with the wheel, just have the two plastic prongs stradle the space between the metal prongs.

Also insure that the plastic part groove on the outside catches the indentation on the inside of the fork. That is so the plastic part doesn't turn as the wheel turns (not very good, if it happens it will probably cost you a speedo cable since it would turn and put a kink on the cable)

Insert the speedo cable so it fits in the recess of the gear inside the plastic part and attach the screw to hold it in place.

With the bike on the center stand and some weight on the rear so the front tire is up on the air turn the tire counterclowise from the left side of the bike or clockwise from the right side of the bike and look at you speedo.

Good luck :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
alkaloid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by alkaloid »

With the the wheel off, I can turn the speedo gear with my finger and make the speedometer jump so I don't think that's broken but when I put the wheel back on and spin, the needle doesn't move. For what ever reason, I guess the speedo gear isn't making contact with the toothed ring on the wheel :?: . This shouldn't be rocket science and I didn't have any leftover parts when I put the wheel back :) . Guess I'll make a trip to the dealer. Thanks for the reply... -Mike