'94 R1100RS new to me advise

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barnby
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

'94 R1100RS new to me advise

Post by Barnby »

Hello everyone!
I am new to the BMW ride world but i have some questions...basic / recommendations. I have a 94 R1100RS with 71K on the bike. I believe i am the 3rd owner. Bike is GREAT!!! Love the ride. It does have some issues that need to be addressed and would like some thoughts. 3rd Gear slip ( i know this is a known concern on these bikes). I've tried to contact someone on the repair/upgrade on the trans-Anton Largiader.. no response yet. Does anyone know of someone in the Georgia area that can do this??? Along with that, recommend clutch replacement? No clutch problems but, i'll be in there... Also, Brakes. I notice mine rattle--normal/abnormal??? No braking or ABS issues. I guess, i'm looking for some advice on what i should do maintenance wise to get the bike on a maintenance upkeep schedule. I run the Pilot 2's with 40 up front and 44 on back. High pressure but I'm 5'10'' @ 225lbs. I've been keeping an eye on the wear and so far, very even wear. Thanks for any input you can give me!
bookman
Basic User

Re: '94 R1100RS new to me advise

Post by bookman »

Hi Barnby, I have no knowledge of the concerns you're raising but you're in the right place to find things out. Have a trawl through the entries here and you'll pick up some great advice. You may not get many detailed replies about regular upkeep as it's already been covered so many times in here over the years. However, a good manual is a start (Haynes/ Clymer etc.) Welcome to BM biking and the forum.

Bookman, Derbyshire Peak District, UK
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

Thanks Bookman! I love the ride. I am afraid i am having the 3rd gear issue though. Gonna have to pull the gearbox out soon and try an find someone (reputable) that can overhaul it. I have an email into Anton Largiader now and waiting for a reply! I'll start browsing the forum!!!!
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Boxerworks in Watkinsville could probably help you 706 310 0699, Nathan is his name.
Mike
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

Thanks captaincable. I'll give Nathan a call!!!
MarkShelley
Basic User

Post by MarkShelley »

If your brakes rattle I assume the discs are the floating type and the bobbins between the disc and their carriers are worn. If this is the case you can buy a kit with the bobbins and the sprung washers that hold them. It is a pretty easy thing to do. I did them on my 1100RT a couple of years ago.
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

I had a dealer check out the brakes...says they are ok which is good news. I'm putting a lot of money into the bike already. Trying to get some of the oldness out of it :). I almost have the trans out but now i have another question about clutches. Anyone ever use the RSR clutches? I read about them on a different forum and price is right but not really sure. I figured i'll already be in there so might as well replace the clutch. I have no idea how many miles are on it or what the remaining thickness is. I have a BMW 325IS and i've learned to stay as close to dealer products as possible.
Thoughts?
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I really don,t know much about the diff brands but have heard to get one that oil does not effect just in case of a leak, am pretty sure the one I checked out at Beemer boneyard has been used by several members. A clutch in these bikes can last a 100k or more if they have not been abused, when CycleRob and I pulled mine apart to lube the splines I would have sworn it was time for a new clutch (48-49 K) but he assured me there was plenty left, I finally was able to get a good measurement on it and of course Rob was right, have not had in issues still feels fine.Did you talk to Nathan ?
Mike
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

I'll check out BeemerBoneyard. I've not called Nathan yet. Although I'm anxious to get the bike back on the road, through the disassembly, i've seen a lot of cleaning up to do. Although the wiring is sound, there is a lot of overheated wires that i want to clean up and prep for install.
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

UPDATE< UPDATE<UPDATE. Trans is out. New Hagon shock is enroute. Unfortunately, needed parts are unavialable. So, reman m97 on the way. Spent to much money but i cant take it with me...Luckily, a profit sharing check will help pay for all this...
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

So trans arrived today. MIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTT needs some guidance on clutch setting and some other things... Can i ping you guys?
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

So i now have wind in my sails! Trans is working great...slight whine but i suspect that is due to being new and tight. Brakes were a problem since i had ABS module out. BTW, this is no big deal to bleed and i can only imagine how much that would cost at a dealer! Put some local miles on it before a cross state ride! I am interested to hear any recommended upgrades, lights, xtra pwr etc.... Windscreen? New shock is AWESOME-->Hagon. Thoughts anyone???
Barnby
Basic User

Post by Barnby »

I'd like to post pics of bike and Hagon shock...what is the process for pic posting?
kissmydrums
Basic User

Post by kissmydrums »

1. Upload a pic to a site that hosts pics like Flickr or Photobucket.

1b. Save the pic in a medium-ish resolution.

2. Click on your pic on that site making sure to "open in new tab".

3. Click on URL (address bar) of your photo and right click and copy.

4. Now back at forum hit reply to post.

5. Click on the "Img" button in the row of buttons just above typing area and paste the URL of your pic you copied being careful to insert it exactly where the cursor was when you first hit the "Img" button.

6. Hit "Submit".

That should do it.

Actually just trying it myself here. If you see photo of my bike below I did it right. If not forget everything you just read and seek counseling at http://www.ThisDudeLiedToMe.com.

I know this; "There is a GOD and none of us are Him..."