Low fuel economy...

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

jmckeown
Basic User

Low fuel economy...

Post by jmckeown »

Hey all,

I know we talked a bit about this last year with wineguy - but I'm looking for anything else I should be checking...

Last season, I was getting around 40mpg while commuting to work (8 miles one way, 25mph-55mph roads, in city), and 50mpg while "touring" (basically anything out on the open road, full tanks with largely 55mph-70mph speed limits with a lot less stop & go.

I rode as much as I could this winter, but it was a bad winter, so the bike sat for 1-3 weeks at times. Fast forward to this riding season (with no changes) and my mpg has dropped by 10 across the board (now getting 30mpg commuting, 40 mpg on trips) Any ideas?

The bike WAS new to me last season, so I may be a little harder on the throttle now, but I still feel like I should be getting better economy.

TPS has been sync'd, valves JUST adjusted(they BARELY needed adjusted), new spark plugs last season (that still look great), and the bike runs GREAT (a little squirrely when COLD - more on that below), air filter looks fine, wheels spin freely...

What am I missing? What else should I check?

On the cold running... OCCASIONALLY first thing in the morning the bike takes a little babysitting to keep it running in the morning (it will want to die unless I blip the throttle - even with the 'choke' on) this goes away within 90 seconds of riding. The other thing it will do every once in a while is sputter when I'm pulling out of a driveway or whatever on a fresh start (I give it gas, it tries to die, I yank in the clutch, rev it, and we're good to go)

My next try is to run some fuel injector cleaner, the only other thing I could think of is an o2 sensor? Any thoughts? I'd think if I had a bad O2 sensor the bike would run poorly all the time - any way to test this?
peels
Basic User

Re: Low fuel economy...

Post by peels »

we talkin 1200 or 1150?

My 1150 gets right under 40 consistently 36-39. Interestingly, it LIKES going 85 in sixth. I was trying to be gentle to it last year to get better mpgs. And never saw over 40. my last tank made it to 40. A little bit of stop go...PLUS i have the curse of the red light I think. I go through ONE stop light on my way to work, that SOB is red EVERY SINGLE DAY! LOL

Cold weather riding wasnt so good for the mpgs....due to extra time preparing, motor runs for a minute or so...
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

It's an 1100... which is why I put it in the 1100 forum.
And I was getting 40-50 mpg last year.

I'm running fuel injector cleaner now & have a new O2 sensor coming
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Cold weather riding causes very cold engine to require and get a richer than normal fuel ratio until the engine has run for several minutes while riding. An OilHead of R1100 vintage will have a 12+ year old O2 sensor and fuel injectors. Changing the O2 sensor and using FI cleaner is a good plan for your bike, especially when the MPGs' deteriorate so noticeably and quickly. It is better to use a lower dose of the cleaners over a longer time period than a strong mixture for 1 or 2 times. This is because some fuels (Texaco and Chevron) already have a good fuel system cleaner (Techron) in them and an excess dose may cause FI component and intake valve stem damage.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

I know this seems so obvious…but have you been checking your tire inflation? My woes were traced to a poorly adjusted brake lever adjusting screw. I'm consistently getting and average of 40mpg with mixed driving, I had hoped for 50mpg but never came close, that you actually got 50mpg puts you in the minority or R1100R owners from what I've read.
Eli the wine guy
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I hit 50mpg one time riding about 45mph on my r850 but most of the time its in the low 40's, probably would be better w/out panniers but I use them a lot.
Mike
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

jmckeown wrote:It's an 1100... which is why I put it in the 1100 forum.
And I was getting 40-50 mpg last year.

I'm running fuel injector cleaner now & have a new O2 sensor coming

I swear I checked that, but still asked...

LOL derp. sorry.

always kill the easy stuff first. check the plugs...

badgas from sittin? water in it? reason I say this: My overflow drain hose was blocked, and didnt notice til I went to fill up, and my kids had just washed the bike for me.., I watched probably at least 1/2 cup of water water go straight down the neck as I opened the cap....Rode for awhile, it didn't run well. So i ran it as empty as I could, then I drained the tank and refilled. seems better now.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Hey All,

Thanks for all the tips! Fuel injector cleaner (ran in smallish amounts over several tanks) then a new O2 sensor seemed to do the trick.
BTW, I went with the universal bosch O2 sensor and it works great. I'm back up to low 40's mpg across the board... I think some of my loss of economy THIS season is due to my right wrist.
David-Mantle
Basic User

Post by David-Mantle »

captaincable wrote:I hit 50mpg one time riding about 45mph on my r850 but most of the time its in the low 40's, probably would be better w/out panniers but I use them a lot.
Mike
I have had my 1996 R1100RT a month and have done 1200 miles so far. Four fill ups : 50.86mpg,54.97mpg.,46.9mpg and 51.9mpg.
If it ain`t broke don`t fix it cause if you fix it it will soon be broke