Fuel System Power Woes

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

TaosBrick
Basic User

Fuel System Power Woes

Post by TaosBrick »

Hi Folks, new to this forum, and I have found myself to be working on a 2004 R1150R.
No fuel was getting into the cylinders, so I jump tested the fuel pump and found it to be verkakt. Also, an interesting side note - alcohol and/or whatever other additives had caused the insulation on all of wires inside the tank to start cracking and spalling off. For the sake of safety, I eliminated the fuel indicator sensor (couldn't find another and new wires could not be soldered in) and soldered new, fuel resistant wiring to the fuel pump.
Put the bulkhead back in, turned the key, no fuel pump whirr. Hit the button, crankedy crank, nada. pulled pump plug - no power to pump either with key on or cranking. Fuse good, relay good (switched with horn relay to check). I suspect that the injectors are not getting any power either, as when I jumped the fuel pump and pressurized the system, it didn't even cough when cranked.
So - what to check next? I don't have a code reader to plug into the motronic (Gods, hope THAT hasn't taken a ch!t) Other than checking the wiring loom for breaks, dunno what to do next. I come from the world of Airheads and Klassic K's, so everything Oilhead is brand spanky new to me. Help and suggestions would be very much appreciated! - Charlie in Taos.
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fuel System Power Woes

Post by gregor »

Etymology

From Yiddish
Adjective

verkakte (comparative more verkakte, superlative most verkakte)

poo, crappy

Well, alcohol has taken more of a toll on me than the bike. Hope you get that sorted.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Wow, I've always thought it was fakakt.

I just googled, I guess this is a popular word! "farkakte. Alternative Spellings. fercockded, fakakte, farkakt, farcocked, verkakte, vercockte. Definitions. "lousy, messed up, ridiculous" (JPS) poo, full of crap.

Someone will chime in (intelligently) about your issue. :)
Member #1
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Well I am on the road so don't have any reference stuff. Sweatmark should chime in as he has a good handle on things electrical.
The pump needs a 10 amp fuse and anything less will blow it. If you bypassed the fuse when you jumped the pump not an issue.
Not the roll over 'cause it started. Not the load relief as that does not kill engine stuff.
The ECU failure is very rare but a used one can be had from beemerboneyard reasonable.

I would look at your work in the wiring you did in the tank and eliminate that carefully.

I bought my 1150 new in '04 and have changed fuel filters about 3 times and have never seen any wiring damage. The machine sit up for awhile with an empty tank?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

So to reiterate, there is no power coming to the fuel pump - checked pump plug from wiring loom with continuity light with both key on and while cranking - nada. Pressurized the system by jumping the NEW fuel pump. Cranked - not so much as a cough. Plug looked and smelled bone dry when removed. This would appear tell me no power is getting to injectors and rest of fuel system. Will check fuses again.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

If the hall sensor goes bad you won't get power to the fuel pump or injectors.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
kirby

Post by kirby »

When you turn on the key if the pressure is below a running pressure (around 50psi) it wil cycle on and bring it up regardless if the hall sensor is working. It must be(working)as well as the ecu, they either work or don't

It ran right?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

Here's another thing I found out about this bike - mice had made a nest on top of the airbox, so I am wondering what the hell else they could've done. Eeesh. So wishing i had a code reader.
kirby

Post by kirby »

I've seen them fill the exhaust too! I'll bet they have chewed some wires!!! Should not be hard to find.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

Checked for chewed wires everywhere except under the fuse box. The fuel pump relay clicks, so that tells me that it and the fuse are good. But where does the power go after that? The wiring diagram I have says that it goes straight to the pump, branching off to the injectors and something called a lambda sensor? Guessing the injector pulses are ground controlled by the Motronic.
kirby

Post by kirby »

If it(relay) clicks when you turn on the key then it seems that it must be the fuse to the pump a 10 amp # 8?
The sensor is the oxy sensor and should not effect pump at all. Fuse could be corroded? Check power is getting across that fuse.

If the relay is operating, and the pump is good, then it almost has to be wiring or fuse. The fact that it will run rules out ecu and hall sensor.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

Ok, guess some clarification is in order. The bike is not running and has not run since last fall. The wiring diagram says that the fuse is BEFORE the relay, with no other fuses between the relay and pump. In the diagram, the relation between the motronic and the pump is unclear to my electrically retarded perception, that is, if I even have the correct diagram for this machine:

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/photos/15908153-O.jpg
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Are you checking the wiring with a meter???
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

Using a light. If there's not enuf power to illuminate a measly light bulb, there sure as heck ain't enuf to turn the pump.
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

Well finally - success! I went through the fuses again, and this time found a Z-style fuse that had burnt almost imperceptibly, not in the centre of the Z as they usually do, but on the edge. Doh. Turned the key and - Whirrrrrrrr... Pressed the button, and the bike coughed to life, sort of. Mainly on one cylinder.
So now we have THAT to sort. Guessing a fouled plug or gummed injector - bike sat with crap ethanol gas and no fuel stabilizer all previous winter. But did I have a plug wrench with me? Hell no. (bike belongs to a friend and is at his house) So, I will return with plug wrench and the rest of my tools on Wednesday.
Stay tuned... I'll get this dang thing running right yet!
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Tool kit has a plug wrench on my bike.
IBA#7147
kirby

Post by kirby »

Remember that the '04 has dual plug heads.You can clean he injectors with an ultrasound if you have one.I will say that injectors rarely plug up
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

TaosBrick wrote:Ok, guess some clarification is in order. The bike is not running and has not run since last fall. The wiring diagram says that the fuse is BEFORE the relay, with no other fuses between the relay and pump. In the diagram, the relation between the motronic and the pump is unclear to my electrically retarded perception, that is, if I even have the correct diagram for this machine:

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/photos/15908153-O.jpg

You stated that you jumped the pump and the bike fired up????
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

kirby wrote:Remember that the '04 has dual plug heads.You can clean he injectors with an ultrasound if you have one.I will say that injectors rarely plug up
Where's the other plug? I only see one with a coil stick in the usual, middle of the valve cover location. As to ultrasound, my shop is not equipped. Hoping changing the plugs cures it, if I can find the other two ;)
TaosBrick
Basic User

Post by TaosBrick »

kirby wrote:

You stated that you jumped the pump and the bike fired up????
Nope, bike never started. I stated "not so much as a cough"

But now that the proper fuse has been replaced, it now runs - on one cylinder. Hoping new plugs takes care of that, otherwise I'm guessing it's time to clean or replace injectors