Dealer rant (minor)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Dealer rant (minor)

Post by challey »

I'm not really one for bashing dealers but I am feeling a bit upset with mine at the moment. I have really tried to develop a good relationship with them and actually very much like the service manager. Yet, I feel that this is a one-way relationship.

My biggest complaint that despite the fact that I've spent nearly $3,500 with them over the past 2 years with this dealer, I am told that I don't qualify for their 10% parts discount becuase I didn't buy the bike there originally.

I am also peeved over some of the work. Not the quality (which has always been good) but the manner in which it is done. For example, I recently had my dented fuel tank replaced courtesy of insurance settlement from when my parked bike was knocked over by a careless driver. Since the tank was going to be off and the fuel system removed, I asked for a number of extra things to be done, including replacing the fuel filter. Yet when I got the bike back (and paid for the addtional work over and above the insurance check), the fuel filter had not been replaced. When I asked about it, they acknowleged that they simply forgot but did not offer any remedy. Instead, I was told that the labor for the job to replace a filter is only about 1/2 hour or so and that they could do the job for under $100.

Do I have legitimate grounds for being upset or am I just being petty?
possum
Basic User
Donating Member #: 751

Post by possum »

I would be a little pissed too,seeing as they had the thing apart.They may have still charged the 1/2hr in time, however this means you have to go out of your way(again) to get what you wanted.Less time to ride.
As far as i am concerned,service means the world.Good service can equal a future sale.
Lookin for a place to happen,making stops along the way.
NZPOM
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by NZPOM »

Maybe and maybe not.

Firstly, here in NZ, any talk of a discount on parts is really just a goodwill offering by BMWNZ. Even membership of BMWOR does not automatically entitle you to any discount :( . A lot does seem to rely on the relationship between yourself, the dealer (service or parts manager) and BMWNZ.

In the last three years we have spent around $50,000+ :shock: with our dealer and tend to get "looked after" whenever possible. But we don't assume a discount will be given.

As for the servicing issue, if your request to have this additional work carried out was recorded on the job sheet in advance, then I believe you should insist that the dealer put it right at their cost.

Trust the dealer will supply a loan bike whilst yours is in workshop?

Good luck.
NZPOM

New Zealand - Land of the long, twisty roads!
hotzuk

I hear you rant!

Post by hotzuk »

Challey,

I understand your position on this one. The filter has still not been replaced. They should have replaced the filter on the spot once it had been overlooked in addition to cutting your existing labor rate price. Like one of the other posts stated "they could be losing future sales".

I really do not like an "Oh well" attitude. You requested a service in writing ahead of time and they did not perform it. Plain and simple. Might I suggest you try talking to the shop manager (in the event you have not). Do not let it go! You do not want them to think it is okay to do that to the next rider.
jbim
Basic User

Post by jbim »

Call it "Added value, 100% satisfaction, etc. go out of their way", it bugs me that they use all the buzz words when making the sale but do not deliver when they have the opportunity. If I were you I would go the the dealer and ask for what I think I deserve and tell them that I will take my business elsewhere if they can't deliver. Of course, this assumes you have options. If there are no other dealers in the area, you may have to be creative like online, out of town, etc.
Basic User

Post by 1150929 »

I've already been labelled a dealer basher by many on this site, and I'm damn proud of that label. I think I've earned it!

I'll repeat that I only had good consistent experiences with one dealer out of the many that I've interacted with. I still rank the level of overall ineptitude at dealer service centers lower than any comparable industry. So stories like this steams me up!

You are absolutely right to expect that they don't charge you the labour cost that they wouldn't have charged you if they did what you requested in the first place. Actually, don't expect it, demand it.

And see if they'll compensate you somehow for the extra time it took of yours...though good luck on this one.
Rui
'03 R1150R silver w/abs,black motor,bags,backrest,givi
'00 CBR929RR
'08 Road King Classic
bearsfolks
Lifer

Post by bearsfolks »

I would name the dealer and send him a copy of this letter. Why in he-- would they not put a new filter in when the tank is being replaced? They are definitely not looking out for you.
Lifetime Member #220
A few beers does NOT make you a better rider.
Gord
Lifer

Re: Dealer rant (minor)

Post by Gord »

challey wrote:I'm not really one for bashing dealers but I am feeling a bit upset with mine at the moment.
Who said you could have a dissenting opinion? If you don't like BMW, why don't you just leave?
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
gel9001
Basic User

Post by gel9001 »

Unless a dealer discounts parts for everyone, its not possible to get an individual discount. Apparel and accessories are a different thing, all dealers can and should offer all beemer pilots a 10 % discount. I get my discount at any dealer.

G
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

challey, you wll find that good dealers, motorcycles and cars alike are few and far between, the primary reason is that management doesn't understand what it takes to be a service organization.

Basically you need to be able to convey your expectations and see if the dealer can meet them, if not find yourself another dealer.....

BTW, Chicago BMW will give everyone 20% discount on parts.....if you are so inclined to do your own maintenance. The majority of the BMW dealers wil give 10% discount.....
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
leno

Post by leno »

Not all dealers are bad, just like not all customers are good. The problem is filtering out the good from the bad. But I guess the best we can hope for is some middle path. That said my local dealer is fine as are most BMW dealers in the UK. I've been a lot happier with them than I was with the Nipon ones. I'ts one of the reasons I stay with the brand.
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

go down and kick his arse challey.

seriously, I would send a letter to BMWNA if he doesn't want to do it. You did ask for it and he forgot. His fault. Yes, he probably would have charged you for it, which is WRONG. Some may disagree, but I'll tell you why.

In the health field, when you're doing multiple procedures, they usually 'code' these procedures into a 'bundle'. This bundle 'discounts' some of the fees since they are being done simultaneously and they aid, assist, the carrying out of the other code(s).

So, the fact that he was getting paid to remove the tank already, and that he would want to charge you again, would be 'unbundling' and quite illegal in my field. In his field, it may not be illegal, but it's dishonest, greedy, and quite simply, offensive.

Since you are now finding yourself going back to the dealer again for something that should have been done before, he(dealer) should take care of it for you. For customer service's sake.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
bearsfolks
Lifer

Post by bearsfolks »

Not just in the Health Field. Labor charges in car and motorcycle repairs are done by a "flat rate" manual of average times to do a specific operation, in this case, change a gas tank. Operations that are included in the tank hange are: remove the seat, remove the oil coolers, disconnect the fuel lines and sensor light wire, remove and reinstall the fuel pump
( which is were the filter lies). Yes , you owe the cost of a filter, but you have already paid the labor cost. Since the labor to do this operation alone exceeds the cost of the filter, any dealer worth doing business with would have recommended a new filter at the time. Which of you puts themself up as "the expert" in maintaining BMW motorcycles?
Lifetime Member #220
A few beers does NOT make you a better rider.