Strange motorcycle feat I saw

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

LonestaRR

Strange motorcycle feat I saw

Post by LonestaRR »

I was in Saltillo, Mexico last week doing some work and I saw something done with a motorcycle which I've never seen before. But of course, I'm not all that well versed in motorcycle tricks. You should have seen this. It happened so fast, I was caught by surprise and now I can't figure out how the guy did this:

I'm riding in the backseat of the car staring out the window and all of a sudden I see this guy casually walk up to his bike, talking to his buddies on the corner the whole time. The motorcycle was parked in front of a building in a regular parking spot. Not backed in like I see so many of them here. It was not a small motorcycle either. I'm not real familiar with motorcycles, but if I had to guess, I would say it was an older model, probably 1975-1985 and probably at least 500-750 cc. He grabs the handle bars, leans it onto the side stand and just spins it 180 degrees to turn it around in the parking space to leave. Never had to back out at all.....just spun the thing like a top. I did a double take as I've never seen that before, and it looked pretty cool. It was as if he had been doing it all his life - just real casual like as he talked to his buddies over his shoulder. I was impressed. But I was so caught off guard by it, I can't remember it well enough to know how he did that. Someone else in the car saw it too, and they were just as surprised.

Have you ever seen this done before? How hard would that be to learn? Never mind, I can't even get my bike on the center stand without spraining my ankle, so I best not attempt something like that. But it was cool.
big papa
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by big papa »

I see the sportbike guys spin their bikes on their side stands often. I would probably screw it up and drop my bike...
Bill
'07 R1200RT
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

It's easier to do on the center stand. :D
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

you can spin the bike around pretty easy on its center stand i do it fairly easy on my garage floor which is real smooth and i do it real slow but if the bike is a little smaller i can see it
what blows me away is the guys doing wheelies on the freeway at 70 mph :shock: thats crazy :shock:
hey kristi ,when you pull your bike up how do you grab the handles. when i grab mine i also step down on the center stand and pull up on the side all in one motion and its seems easy i infact did it with flip flops on :wink:
ride it like you stole it
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

First, before I attempt to put it on the center stand I re-read all the posts about how to do it. Then I take all the advice and technique reports and then wrap it up in all the confidence I have and head to the garage. Balance the bike, make sure the handle bars are straight and bike is in neutral, put foot on center stand, right hand on the front bar of the rear foot peg mount, step down and slide the bike back in one fluid movement. Yeah, right!! I know I can do it. I was successful a couple of times at the dealership and a couple of times at home. But the last time I tried (last weekend) I had one successful attempt out of three. The third attempt, my ankle gave out, collapsed and twisted off the bike. I obviously did some sort of damage to it because it is still swollen and bruised. But it wasn't damaged in an area that prevents me from walking and riding okay. I'm going to wait til the swelling goes down before I attempt it again. I know it can be done. I know technique is everything - but some extra weight would have to help. I can stand on the center stand and bounce up and down on it and the bike is not going to move. Maybe if I strapped some lead weights to myself. When I was at the dealership this week they told me to come by when the ankle heals and they will work with me some more. Nice guys at North Houston BMW.
Boxerboy
Basic User

Post by Boxerboy »

I wouldn't do these sort of turns on the stands if you're considering long term ownership.

Stands are often the most neglected part of the bike. They won't do their job correctly eventually if these tricks are done too often.
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

well look at it this way centerstands on some bikes are an option ,so if it makes it eaiser dont use it at all :lol: like you didnt have a option,plus i think the bike looks better leaning over to the side :P
ride it like you stole it
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

Only the boxer bikes are balanced on the center stands. The trick is NOT to attempt on rough pavement or non-level pavement. If you've done it once, it's just a metter of feel (and leverage). The same thing done on a sidestand is NOT recommended with the weight of these bikes. The penalty for failure of a sidestand is $$$$$!
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Remember to pull backwards on the bars/bike as well as pushing down.

The bike isn't just going up, it has to rock backwards onto the stand too.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

riceburner wrote:Remember to pull backwards on the bars/bike as well as pushing down.

The bike isn't just going up, it has to rock backwards onto the stand too.
That's odd, I just pull straight up on the passenger mount, not much back. Much like picking up a large bucket to the right of my foot (lift with the knees). The left arm doesn't do much of anything.

My method:
I think the trick is to get some weight on the stand with your right foot first. That'll square the bike up to the ground, and it wont tip away from you. After that, bend with the knees and grab the rear footpeg support and push with all your weight on the right foot while straightening your knees. There isn't much arm motion involved, which is good since legs are much stronger. You just have to practice a bit so you don't get hit in the shin with the footpeg or whatnot.

I'm also fairly big, so this method might be workable only for larger people. I definitely had issues with getting the bike on the stand the first 5 or so times I tried. I nearly dropped it to the right a few times, and couldn't manage. It really does become really simple after you 'get' it.
houndog
Basic User

Post by houndog »

I actually dropped mine on the right side trying to get it off the stand. Before I bought it. :oops:
After that I had to buy it. I guess it was carma. Now I am glad. I might have ended up with a Hardly instead. :lol:
Just to match up the heads I made sure that on my first ride with it I dropped it on the left side on a slick parking lot. Now both heads have sweet battle scars. :roll:

Tommy
Lifes a garden, DIG IT.
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

houndog...
sorry about your scars. Your bike has character...and you learned something in the doing it...no matter how bad it felt.
I too, ALMOST dropped mine ...before I ever rode it...I however choose to let the bike crush me against the garage wall for 4 or 5 minutes before help arrived. :oops:
I am so done with the center stand.
I use the side stand and just get help to center it when it needs longer support than 'casual parking'.
I don't worry about the oil....as explained in the earlier thread...some BMW boxer models do not even have center stands.
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

houndog wrote:I actually dropped mine on the right side trying to get it off the stand. Before I bought it. :oops:
After that I had to buy it. I guess it was carma. Now I am glad. I might have ended up with a Hardly instead. :lol:
Just to match up the heads I made sure that on my first ride with it I dropped it on the left side on a slick parking lot. Now both heads have sweet battle scars. :roll:

Tommy
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why anyone tries to take the bike off EITHER stand from the side. I always either pull the side stand up with my foot and then drive away, or drive off the center stand. My usual routine is to kill the engine by deploying the side stand; then kicking it back up when it's time to start the engine. (Boxers don't like to sit idling anyhow)
As far as those battle scars Houndog, they should probably make us install the Stanton head guards before it can leave the dealership. Seems like the valve covers take a lot of abuse. The GS guys assume it will happen and just try not put a hole in the cover. Of course, they accept a lot of casual breakage that would really hurt my feelings.
houndog
Basic User

Post by houndog »

I have never been one of those people that could keep anything "new". Everything that I own has a dent in it or a scratch. :x I am not a clumsy person and I spend countless hours maintaining all of my vehicles. I guess it is just part of my luck. I have learned to live with it.

I went on my first group ride with mostly BMW riders last year. I looked around the group of about 20 bikes and I noticed that mine was without a doubt the dirtiest bike in the group (even dirtier than the 3 GS's :roll: ), but I didn't feel bad about it, I was kind of proud that instead of washing and polishing I was out riding. 8) Still everyone in the group had to come and check my OD, which is equivilent to dogs sniffing butts. They noticed the scars on the heads and mostly I got alot of "those are sweet", and " I wouldn't even fix those", which I am not , unless I decide to paint them black.

Sorry for the hijack. :oops:
Tommy
Lifes a garden, DIG IT.
cc

centerstand helper

Post by cc »

I know it can be done. I know technique is everything -
Technique is important, but sometimes tools help. My SO was having problems getting her F650GS on the centerstand in the garage. We got a foot long piece of 1x12 that she kicks under the front of the rear wheel . She then pushes the bike FORWARD on to the board. With the rear wheel up 1½ in. it's a piece of cake to deploy the center stand. We later added a piece of 1x4 on the front of the 1x12 to make a little lip so the bike didn't roll off the front so easily when the push forward is a little too enthusiastic.

This doesn't help much away from home, but you can usually get by with the side stand.
Donating Member #: 156

Try it while sitting on the bike.......

Post by TonyT607 »

When I was a kid I saw my Dad get a friend's bike on its center stand while sitting on it - I have no idea what kind it was or how big/heavy. I just remember I was about 8 and it looked cool as hell.

I tried it a few times on the RR and managed to get it about 3 times - push down left heel, pull up hard on bars........
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT