Mt Macedon with Boxerboy

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Mt Macedon with Boxerboy

Post by DJ Downunder »

Boxerboy sent me his ride pics from yesterday..I couldn't join him this time..bugger!..it was a beautiful warm Winter's day..and a great day for a ride.

Here's Boxerboy's Mt Macedon ride pictures.

Boxerboy rides a beautiful R100...a rare edition with a JPS (John Player Special) paint job.

Looking imac in front of some Aussie wattle trees.

Taking the long way there to enjoy the twisty roads.

Old stone walls looking very British...and maybe made by convicts sent here from Britian.

At the top of mount Macedon there's this big cross in memory of those who died in WW1.

There's a nice little garden around the cross.

The view from Mt Macedon looking back toward Melbourne through the haze.

Nearby is this place called Hanging rock..anyone seen an Aussie movie called "Picnic at hanging rock"?...here's the rocks.

Next it was time for lunch..a skinny decaf flatwhite and a veg pastie with tomato sauce (what they call ketchup in the US)

Just up the road on the way home was some more tomato sauce...all over the road......er....maybe not.

No not tomato sauce...blood...and a poor old wombat that crossed the road for the last time.

I've added a last pic of Boxerboy and myself on a past ride...boxerboy's the one in the red shirt....hope you liked his pics.

DJ

Last edited by DJ Downunder on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Philbie
Basic User

Post by Philbie »

Top pics, and a top ride at that!!!

Hanging rock looks great and the ride must have been excellent! Next time your heading out let me know, I'll see if I can tag along....

Cheers,

Phil
Now the Proud owner of a 2006 BMW R1200RT SE
Boxerboy
Basic User

Thanks for posting those DJ.

Post by Boxerboy »

It was a very nice day. The weather here has been brisk and foggy many mornings and DJ and another mate Mick have been talking about heading to the Mt. Macedon pub for lunch for 2 months. Something has always managed to waylay our plans. Anyhow, on Thursday I was off work and my 10 yo daughter had been away for 2 nights on a school camp. They were planning on lunch at Hanging Rock so I thought what the hell...I'll surprise her and turn up in the middle of nowhere to share a picnic. DJ had other plans and couldn't tag along unfortunately.

Hanging Rock is only 60 ks north of Melbourne and accessible within 40 minutes via the freeway, but I managed to take the long way. It was 17C and just right for a spin. No extra gear required under the Tiger Angel gortex jacket, seated behind the RS fairing.
Mt. Macedon is only 10 minutes from the rock, itself perched half way up another 1000 metre hill. The township of Mt.Macedon is adorned with big houses with big gates and big gardens. Whilst having lunch, most cars that pulled up were at the luxury end of the market. The area has a number of wineries and many places to stay and eat and drink.
In 1983 the whole hill was ablaze, most of it burned out. Many congregated in the pub, as the last bastion of safety against a ferocious fireball. If you're gonna die, you may as well be pissed and amongst friends I guess! Unfortunately the pub was all boarded up...out of business. Oh well, off to the post office/milk bar/bottle shop/cafe for a pastie and coffee instead. I was disappointed not to get a big plate of hearty country made soup.
The cross survived, surrounded by burned forest. It's actually a memorial to WW1 soldiers. The road in to the cross was short, but very slippery. Much of it was green as the trees didn't quite allow the sun onto the bitumen so pathes of slippery moss were growing on the road. The usual tintop traffic didn't clean it all away either.
The view to Melbourne was very hazy, despite it being a reasonably breeezy day. You can see in the picture from 60 ks away.
Getting home was a pleasant jaunt across the flatlands north of Melbourne, interlaced with the occasional chicane built to traverse the extensive gullies interspersed thru the area. The wattle is starting to flower and parts of the countryside are yellow everywhere. Unfortunately I was enjoying the ride too much to stop too frequently for further pictures.
I hope y'all enjoyed my day off. :lol: :wink:

Cheers
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Boxerboy, I never tire of seeing that R100 of yours. Keep those photos coming!

mac
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Bravo!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures, DJ. Thank you for sharing the ride, boxerboy.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Very nice, Thanks to the both of you for sharing, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Nice team effort on the ride report!

Boxerboy, I spent a lot of years and saddle time on a R100RS and it still makes my heart go pitter patter! :D Yours is a nice example!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295