New tires next week

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

paroyboy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

New tires next week

Post by paroyboy »

Stopped in to get my bike inspected today and found that I need a new rear tire. Front is getting close too so they reccomended replacing both. Apparently, it still has the original Bridgestones on after 8500 miles. The guy reccomended Dunlop D220's. Total price for front/back, mounted/balanced, and the state inspection is going to be $400. First off, let me say that I am not comfortable doing any work to the tires or brakes. I'd rather that responsibility fall on the dealer. Any experience with these tires?
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I've heard that they're good..but pretty soft..and only expect about half the miles that you got from the Bridgies....some others might know more.

DJ
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

paroyboy,

Where do you live that requires safety inspections of bikes ? Well it seems you need a tire to get past them at any rate. I think your dealer is about $100 too high on the installation of two tires. For a loyal customer like yourself they should knock off at least $50-60. Wheel removal on this bike is cake. If you were willling to take the wheels to a shop, they would probably do the install/balance for $30 or so each. My experience with BMW dealers is that they seem to quote the highest price they can think of for tire replacement.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I think just about any dealer is too expensive on tire prices. FYI - Virginia has annual safety inspections required for all vehicles. Yes, it's a PITA, but at least I know most other cars out there are somewhat safe to be on the road. One of our neighbor states, Maryland, only requires inspection upon the purchase of a vehicle which usually leaves the owners fully in charge of making sure all equipment is in proper working order. It's amazing how many Maryland cars have burnt out lights.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

I have a good tyre dealer that just happens to be a bike freak as well.
( Hyabusa, Harley, 996 Ducati)
They allways do me a good deal-fitting is in the price, I take my wheels to them. I have checked on city prices, and I am getting a better deal than I can there.
I have just fitted Michelin Pilot Roads to mine, so will see how they go.
Actually cheaper than Dunlops(208s?)
2002 R1150R.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Dunlops are not at the top of most polls and/or lists for favorite tires. Tops in popularity (in no particular order) would probably be Metzlers Z6s, Michelin Pilot Roads, Avons (I forget what model) and Pirelli Stradas.

Taking the wheels off is relelatively simple and could save you some installation costs.

NC has inspections that include tires also!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

The other reccomendation was the Metsler z6. $20 cheaper for the set but the guy swore by the Dunlops. I'm not an agressive rider so its probably not THAT important. He said to expect between 4 an 5K from them. Call me a wuss but I'm just not comfortable messing with wheels/tires. I'll pay the $400. Also quoted me $308 for the 12K service which seems lower than some on here.
I live in PA. We have to get all vehicles inspected yearly.
Tlaloc
Basic User

Post by Tlaloc »

I had Metzler Z-6s installed by the local dealer this past Saturday. They ran $340 installed. So, yes, the $400 sounds a little high, even considering you're in the northeast.

The Northwest is getting pretty expensive, too!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The highest dealer margin (profit) is on the Dunlop brand tires even though they usually cost less than other major brands. They actually are very good cheap tires but many times other major brands are measureably better for the same money or just a little more. The $400 for D-220's is too much!! I'd go elsewhere and order a set of Metzeler Z-6.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

Ok, Ok. Update: I decided to go wtih the Metzlers for $20 less. So now I'm looking at $380 with tax/fees/etc. That also includes the $25.00 for the state inspection so the tires are running me $355
budH
Basic User

Post by budH »

$380 for a mounted and balanced pair of Z6's from a BMW dealer seems slightly high but fair I guess, considering their high overhead costs. I take it the shop will remove and replace the wheels?

My Roadster's sported Metzeler Z4's or Z6's ever since the stock Bridgestones went south. Tried Michelin Pilot Roads briefly but I found them less "grippy" and less than confidence inspiring. Z6's normally last me 7,000 miles (I saw the chords once at 7,500 miles).

As the nearest BMW dealer is an 85 mile ride, I order pairs from Southwestmototires.com for $240 (free shipping). Mounting is via the NoMar Tire Changer in my basement; balancing via a MarcParnes Balancer (NoMar has one too but I already had the MarcParnes part).

I've tried the local Suzuki shop - got a :cry: :x scratched rear for $25 per tire (after purchasing their tires).

I've tried the local Honda shop for $25 per tire. Once the tires came in, I drove up with my wheels in my Miata. Got home and started balancing them only to discover the red sidewall dots are 180 degrees and 90 degress from the valve stem. Printed out Metzeler's instructions stating "red dots depict the lightest part of the tire and must go to the heaviest part of the wheel, typically the valve stem". Drove 20 miles back to dealer and got them re-mounted after countering their claims that - "the red dots go either at the valve stem or 180 degrees from it" with my Mezeler web site printout.

I've tried a local motorcycle repair shop for $30 per tire (purchased their tires too). Nice jobs there but I once had to leave my wheels overnight after being told they could do them right away. Someone went home sick that day or something. It happens but I hate doing 50 mile round trips for nothing, even if it is in my Miata. :(

I've always done my own balancing since no local shops have BMW wheel adapters - it's quick and easy.

Since my NoMar aquisition, I've discovered my wheels are heaviest at the valve stem, but not by much. The rear of my friend's R1150RT is heaviest approximately 180 degrees from the valve stem.

I've done five sets of tires now and it's not too difficult. Plus, it's fun to have friends over (they bring the Yuengling) to have their tires changed - they just have them shipped to my house. Figure by the time I've done 11 sets of tires, the changer will have paid for itself - which it's really already done because of the convenience aspect. Also, I now always keep at least one spare set of Metzelers in the basement next to my tire changer in case an "emergency" arises.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
peter da
Basic User

Post by peter da »

Der beste Reifen für die R1150R ist meiner Meinung nach der Metzler Z6.
Als Erstbereifung war der Dunlop D207 montiert - er hielt ca. 10.000 km, der Metzler hat sehr gute Haftung, gerade auch bei Naesse. Bei uns in Deutschland kostet der Satz um die 300 Euro.

for translation klick here:

http://translation2.paralink.com/
Freude am Fahren wuenscht Peter!
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

Die Metzler Z6's sind bestellt worden. Ich hoffe, dass theyarrive rechtzeitig, weil ich meine Ernennung nicht wiederplanen kann. Wenn sie dont kommen, ich den Dunlop D220s werde verwenden müssen. Die Metzlers sind hoher reccomended durch jeden. Viele vielen Dank für Ihre Meinung.

Pretty cool translator. I used to use http://www.freetranslation.com/free/ but
http://translation2.paralink.com/ seems to be alot more accurate.
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

Baby got her new set of shoes today. Went with the Metzler Z6. I was afraid they wouldnt arrive in time but they showed up. What a difference! Not sure if its because of the specific tire or just that now I'm actually riding on tread again! Bike seems to ride alot smoother than before. Wont push them in the corners for awhile but so far, I'm pleased!