BMW and Burning Rice

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

erock1150
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

BMW and Burning Rice

Post by erock1150 »

I was invited to ride this last Sunday with a group of Squids. Well that’s not fair not all were squids. I thought it would be interesting to see how well I could keep up with the young kids. Most looked to be in there 20's and I'm 42. I would say in total about 45 to 50 bikes. All Rice Burners. I was the only BMW and I was darn proud of my 1150R. Best looking bike there. After a few handshakes we were off and quickly onto the twisties. To my surprise I was able to keep the pace. I did not feel pushed or felt like I was riding over my ability. In fact I even passed a few guys. I wonder what was going through there head when they saw that dang BMW pass them. Now mind you I passed them when it was safe. And this is where the fun ended for me. As we're going thought the tight turns I was startled by the sound of a bike passing me at high speed in the oncoming lane, on a blind turn! As I looked over to see what just scared the "bleep" out of me I saw this dumb 20 nothing kid with his girlfriend on the back! If a car had come around the corner It would have killed them and taken me and maybe a few others with them. I was shaken up as I watched him continue on, passing as may bikes as he could blind corners or not. I kept thinking I'm about to watch some people die. This really took the wind out of my sails. The fun of the ride was gone. I thought at the most I would see some wheelies and some stopies. But this was way over the top for me. When I did get home I grabbed my two daughter (13 and 9 years) and told them they can never date a squid!!! I have been invited back for next month's ride, I'm going to have to think about that.

On a side note at one of the stops we made a young guy walked up to me and said "hey man I don't care what people say about BMW's that's a beautiful bike” I think there was a complement in there somewhere.

erock
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks erock...great report..I know the feeling (both good and bad)...glad it didn't end in tears..they don't realize just how lucky they are do they.

I had a guy walk around and around my bike at a stop once just looking at it and said..geees you really squeeze every bit out of that don't you..because he had been trying to catch me (and I knew it).. :D ..he was on a big sports bike..but it was twisty.. :wink:

DJ
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Our boxer engines give us a great advantage with its down-low torque. At Deal's Gap, I put my tranny in 2nd gear through the whole 11 miles with the exception of one straight section where I shift into 3rd. Squids have to keep their inline-4s on the boil and they have to do a lot more work to keep the pace up. A boxer at 3k rpm pulls as hard as most inline 4s do at 8k. I can keep up with a lot of the sport bike pilots easily. It's only the more dedicated or more experienced riders that I refrain from trying to keep up with lest I ride above my abilities.

As for reckless idiots, there are a few I see in places like Deal's Gap and the type of road you describe. It's unfortunate, but people - usually young, don't seem to understand that crashing can be fatal.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

erock,

I'd be pretty nervous in a group of 50 (or even 20) young riders on a twisty road. Do they all know enough not to take you out? I doubt it.

That is scary about a guy 2 up passing blind on a curve. If a car came around likely would have taken you out too. I think I'd rather ride alone.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
OU812
Lifer

Race bikes and R1150R

Post by OU812 »

A good friend of mine used to race a Ducati and at the same time owned a 02 R1150R. He stated that the R handled better than the ducati that he raced. I found it hard to believe, yet I find my R handles better than my 89 FZR600 I used to race. 8) Oh, Squids beware, oncoming traffic lanes ARE DEADLY! :roll:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

There's a lot of coverage of "how dangerous bikes are" in the UK media and we like to cling on to the phrase "sorry mate, I didn't see you" etc talking about how bad car driving standards are, but sometimes you've got to wonder if a few bikers don't bring it on themselves.

I went for a great ride yesterday, and, unusually, all the car driving was of a very high standard. I'd never wish a misfortune on anyone, but I have to say the only idiots I saw all day were all on fast bikes:

- a K1200R doing crazy overtakes in inappropriate places into oncoming traffic (and very slow squared-off corners)
- a GSX-R / 'blue & white blur' that literally came out of nowhere to pass me & the car in front doing 120mph+ ?
- an oncoming streetfighter that passed about six cars & a truck coming towards us, forcing the car in front of me right over to avoid collision on a two-lane road

Just occasionally I'm embarrassed to be on the same mode of transport as these guys - no wonder we all get a bad name in some quarters, mainly with people who've had the cr@p scared out of them in a near miss at some time. :cry:
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: Race bikes and R1150R

Post by R4R&R »

OU812 wrote:A good friend of mine used to race a Ducati and at the same time owned a 02 R1150R. He stated that the R handled better than the ducati that he raced.
The latest "Rider" magazine tested the R1200R with the Duc Monster. The final outcome was the Duc was better on the track but in everyday riding, the comfort and versatility of the R1200R made it hard to beat, but they did bring up the $4000 price difference.

I went on a group ride a few years ago, a mix of about 20 bikes, lets say 'sportbikes' was the majority. When the going got quick, one went down but he was riding past his limits (definitely not his bikes), trying to 'keep up'. He broke his wrist, but it stopped his day of riding. I think he learned because you have a fast bike doesn't mean you can go fast.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
chris
Basic User

Re: Race bikes and R1150R

Post by chris »

R4R&R wrote: I think he learned because you have a fast bike doesn't mean you can go fast.
90% of it is in the mind...the best riders will be quick on almost anything.

There were a few eedjits out and about yesterday, I just hope no one I passed was sitting in their cage going, 'look at that idiot Mildred...' :wink:
On group riding, I only like to ride with people I know and trust, if you have unpredictable people around you have a problem. GP riders are the same, comfy with the guys they know but very wary of the wildcards.
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos