Wunderlich Engine Guard quality

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
cadhopper
Basic User
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ruther Glen, Virginia
Contact:

Wunderlich Engine Guard quality

Post by cadhopper »

So I ordered the Wunderlich Engine Guard so I would have a nice place to mount my PIAA lights and a nice foot rest for longer trips and the added protection. I have always had good luck with with Wunderlich products but this guard was the exception. The front guard mounts to three point and I was amazed how far off the right top points was. Looking at the bar laying flat on the floor I could clearly see the tubing on the left and right side were not bent at the same angle. There's no way I could bent this bar by hand and it was not close enough to be able to draw it in with a long screw so I had to break out the torch and heat the tubing to get it to the proper shape then sand and repaint the guard. I wish I would have taken a picture of the guard while it was laying on the floor but I was concentrating on fixing the problem. I suppose I could have sent it back for a new guard but being a pretty handy person and I decide to fix the problem myself. I'll call Santa Cruz BMW Monday and let them know what happen so they can check there stock.

Left top mount
Image
Right top mount (way off)
Image
bottom mount
Image
Life would be no fun without twisty roads.
User avatar
awagnon
Lifer
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ogden, Utah

Wunderlich engine guard

Post by awagnon »

I put a Wunderlich guard on my R-bike about a year ago. I had to leave all bolts loose until all the bolts were installed because the alignment was so bad. However, it all tightened up nicely in the end. I am disappointed in the paint which seems to chip off with the slightest rock or gravel ding. It is a nice mount for the PIAA's and protected the rocker cover when I dropped the bike in a parking lot at very low speed. I was wondering if you can still get the plastic protectors which go on the bars.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
User avatar
cadhopper
Basic User
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ruther Glen, Virginia
Contact:

Post by cadhopper »

I have not seen plastic protectors listed anywhere on their website. You might be able to get the clear 3M protective sheet and cut off what you need. My local BMW dealer carries it by the sheet.

As far as drawing the guard in with a screw, the supplied screw would not have been long enough and the alignment was so bad I don't think a longer screw would have lined up well enough to start it.
Life would be no fun without twisty roads.
User avatar
ASQTec
Double Lifer
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:52 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Palmer, Pennsylvania

Post by ASQTec »

I had the same experience when installing the crash bars a few years ago. Everything was fine once all the nuts and bolts were tightened.

Yup. The paint scrapes/chips a lot easier than it should for a $369 item. Just dump the bike once, and you'll be happy you installed this ugly, expensive, yet very practical leg rest.

The plastic crashbar protectors are on page 260 of the Wunderlich catalog. The part number is 8600435 for the pair.
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
User avatar
awagnon
Lifer
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ogden, Utah

Post by awagnon »

ASQTec wrote:The plastic crashbar protectors are on page 260 of the Wunderlich catalog. The part number is 8600435 for the pair.
I'll have to pull out my Wunderlich catalog again. I must have missed them. Thanks for the info.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
Byrdguy
Basic User
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:20 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: FL.Panhandle

Post by Byrdguy »

Get it tweaked the way you want it to fit, then have it powdercoated.
Post Reply